XXXII: Coming Clean

So I've been thinking of trying out third person POV because it helps describe some certain scenes better than the POV of just one person. So you might see a few chapters in this POV

Third POV

The sun cast a warm glow over the royal gardens. A gentle breeze rustled the leaves, carrying with it the sweet scent of blooming roses. Rowan paced nervously on the stone path, glancing at the palace door waiting for Hyacinth to walk through. His heart raced; that was the day he planned to confess his true feelings about her. Not that there were any feelings to begin with. He needed to let her know that he wished to stop courting her since it was pointless.

“Rowan, you’re going to wear a hole in the path if you keep that up,” Cassius said, leaning against a nearby tree. With tousled hair and a roguish grin, he was the epitome of casual charm. “Relax. It’s just a confession that could possibly ruin a young woman's hopes. Not a big deal.”

“Not a big deal?” Rowan shot back, his brow furrowed. “It's a very huge deal, Cassius. She’s meant to be my bride. And tonight I have to tell her about... well, everything.”

Cassius raised an eyebrow. “Everything? Well I would hate to be in her shoes. What if she reacts badly?”

“Then I’ll deal with it,” Rowan replied, trying to sound more confident than he felt. “But I need to be honest with her, especially since—”

“Especially since you’ve been seeing someone else... blah blah blah... I know.” Cassius interrupted, a teasing smile playing on his lips. “Oh, this is going to be entertaining.”

Rowan sighed. “It’s not a joke. I need to tell her about Garrick before it goes any further.”

“Right, right. Let’s just hope she doesn’t throw a rose at your head or choke you with her pearls,” Cassius chuckled. “Or worse, run away screaming.”

When Hyacinth had requested the meet up to make up for the rainy day, Rowan saw it as an opportunity to come clean.

Just then, he saw figures approaching from the garden entrance. It was Hyacinth, dressed in a delicate blue gown, and beside her was Aria, her confident demeanor contrasting with Hyacinth’s more anxious posture. Rowan’s heart skipped; the moment had come.

“Rowan,” Hyacinth said softly, her voice barely above a whisper. “Thank you for meeting us.”

“Of course,” he replied, gesturing for them to sit on a stone bench surrounded by flowers. “I’ve been looking forward to this.” That was a lie. He was actually a panic-stricken mess.

As they settled down, the atmosphere grew heavy with anticipation. Rowan could see that Hyacinth was just as anxious as she was with how she fiddled with her nails. “You both look lovely tonight." He began, "So anyway... I’ve been wanting to tell you—”

“Wait!” Aria blurted, cutting him off and turning to Hyacinth. “Let’s get this out in the open, shall we?”

Hyacinth glanced at her, surprise flickering in her eyes. “Aria, I—”

Aria squeezed her hand. “No more hiding it. We both know that it's important he knows.”

Rowan felt a mix of curiosity and anxiety. “What’s going on?”

“I… I’ve been keeping a secret,” Hyacinth stammered, glancing between Rowan and Aria. “I’ve developed feelings for someone else.” Her voice quivered, and she looked down at her hands.

Rowan’s heart lightened as he thought her confession would be much worse. “Who is it?” he asked.

“It’s—it's Aria,” she confessed, her cheeks flushing as she met Rowan’s gaze. “I’m in love with your sister, Rowan.”