XIV: Tangled Emotions

Rowan

Collecting myself, I went back into the ballroom. I stood next to my parents as they watched my sister dance with the person I hoped would be my future wife. The deep red gown visibly overwhelmed her yellow one. And my sister was about an inch or two taller. Still, I was happy that they got along.

"They'll be great friends, will they not?" Remarked my mother.

"Absolutely," I replied.

"Where did you disappear off to?" She asked.

"Oh? I was just in the garden. I needed to take a little breather. You know how I am. You should be lucky that I even returned."

_._._._._._._._._._._._._

Most mornings I spent just roaming about the castle grounds. Other days, my dad would have me update him on the army's progress. Sometimes, I would stamp documents of approval...
But they morning, I had no plans but to canter on my trusted steed.

I rounded the corner of the castle hallway, my boots echoing against the marble floors, when I spotted my father at the end. It appeared that a meeting with the general had just ended. His expression was neutral as I watched the general continue to walk away.

“Father,” I said, curiosity bubbling up. “What brings the general here this morning?”

His voice was low, almost a growl. “I was tightening the guard. We must be a little bit more cautious from now on.”

I nodded, feeling a weight settle in my stomach. “Alfonso did mention that more travelers and merchants coming into the village. Could that be a concern?”

“Alfonso?” His gaze sharpened, and I could feel the scrutiny. “Who is this Alfonso?”

“A friend I met while riding,” I blurted out, my pulse quickening, "The riding that I will be heading off to right now. See you later father." I needed to escape before he asked more. Without waiting for his response, I turned and dashed down the hall.

In the stable, I saddled my horse with hurried and very expert hands if I do say so myself. The pull of the forest behind the castle called to me, and I mounted my horse, riding hard until I arrived where the river entered the forest.

I continued to venture deeper into the woods, my horse walking along the river bank. Then I heard it—a melody, the soft notes of a flute drifting through the trees. My heart quickened, drawn toward the sound. Apart from me, no one really walked through this forest. Every once in a while, servants would come to collect some firewood but this was not one of those days. I was sure of it.

I followed the music until I arrived at the familiar stream where I liked to take my leisurely dips. And there he was, the trespassor, the dark figure who haunted my thoughts. He sat there, against a wide tree, the flute poised between his fingers. But as my horse snapped a twig under his hoof, he stopped playing. He turned to look at me, a smirk spreading across his face

“Who's following who now?” he asked, amusement lacing his voice.

I wanted to wipe that smirk off his face. I had never seen his face without the hood before, but now, in the dappled sunlight, I caught a glimpse of his dark hair and a neatly trimmed beard. He was good-looking, striking, even, and it annoyed me how much I noticed. Perhaps I used my anger as an excuse to ignore whatever strange pull he had over me.

I got off my horse and left it sipping water from the stream. “I always use this trail when riding,” I retaliated, the lie slipping out almost unconsciously. In truth, I had never gone there with the intention of finding him, yet part of me had hoped that I might.

He raised an eyebrow, skepticism etched on his features. “Is that so? Because I had no intention of running into you today. I was here first. And you found me. So who’s really following who?”

His words cut through the tension, and I felt a mix of frustration and intrigue. He was right, though it irked me to admit it.

“We don't need to go into the details of who was here first. This is my spot. I always come here. You can leave.” I shot back, trying to maintain some semblance of composure.

He chuckled softly, the sound both mocking and charming. “You may be the prince but I don't believe you own every piece of land. We can share, can't we?”

I stood there, heart racing, grappling with the unsettling realization that my encounters with this man were anything but ordinary. I wanted to know what secrets lay buried in his shadows.

He pushed himself away from the tree he had been leaning against and began to walk toward me, tucking his flute into a pouch on his belt. I instinctively took steps back and soon collided with the rough bark of a tree pressed against my back.

“What? Are you going to punch me again?” I asked, forcing a casual tone even as tension coiled in the air between us.

He merely smirked, an expression that was both infuriating and oddly captivating, as he continued his steady approach. There was something about the way he moved—confident, almost graceful—that stirred something in me, but I pushed it down.

As he drew closer, I felt my heart race, a mix of annoyance and an inexplicable urge to understand this man who seemed to occupy my thoughts.

He began to get too close and so I shoved him, my palms meeting the solid fabric of his cloak. He staggered slightly, surprise flashing across his features before he quickly regained his balance. But then his expression shifted, annoyance flickering in his dark eyes.

“Careful,” he said, his voice low and intense. “You don’t know what I'm capable of. Watch your actions a bit more wisely because you can't win.”

The weight of his words hung heavy in the air, sending a chill through me. I met his gaze, a mix of defiance and fear swirling inside me. There was something in his eyes that told me he wasn’t just playing games.

I straightened, feeling the adrenaline surge through me. “I don’t care about that. I'm not afraid of you. If you wanted to harm me, you would've already,” I shot back, though deep down, I felt a knot of uncertainty.

“Maybe I should,” he replied, his tone cutting, yet laced with an underlying intensity that left me unsettled. Soon after, I felt the grasp of his fingers on my neck. He grabbed it tightly but not enough to restrict all my ability to breathe. Still, I was short of air and unable to release myself from his hold.

The shadows around us began to feel darker, and I couldn't shake the feeling of fear that creeped in my blood. Was he actually going to kill me? I closed my eyes and struggled with my hands trying to release his grip on my neck.

But then I felt myself pulled forward and my eyelids flew open in shock when I felt his lips on mine. Had the lack of oxygen gotten to my head? Had I begun to hallucinate? It was rough the way he ravished my lips. He loosened his grip around my neck almost letting go of it completely.

I was so lost in the moment that I closed my eyes and kissed him back moving our mouths in perfect rhythym. Nothing seemed to matter at the time. I didn't think about what would happen when we were to end the kiss and have to face each other again.

It turns out, I didn't need to worry about it at all. Because I felt his lips leave mine and when I opened my eyes, he was gone. I gasped for the much needed air as I tried to comprehend the events that were taking place. I searched around and it was like he was never there to begin with. I touched my lips which felt swollen from the kiss and I think he bit me. Why did I like it though?