XXV: The Princess

Hyacinth

I had often been told that it was not so easy to draw from memory but the image of my beloved princess was engraved so clearly in my mind. I could have painted her with my eyes closed. The brushes glided smoothly on the canvas, my hands knowing exactly how to move. Never had I thought that I would paint such an image, and definitely not of the princess.

I sat in my room, heart racing as I carefully brushed the strokes of paint on the canvas before me. The image of Princess Aria in nothing more than wet silks replayed in my mind. It was a moment I cherished, but I couldn't let anyone else see it. I glanced over my shoulder, then hurriedly draped a cloth over the painting, concealing it from view just as I heard a soft knock at the door.

"Hyacinth, are you ready?" My mother's voice broke through, and I felt a surge of anxiety. I quickly wiped my hands on a rag, but in my haste, I must have brushed my cheek against a smear of red paint.

"Just a moment!" I called back, my heart racing as I glanced in the mirror. The faint smudge on my face was a telltale sign of my recent endeavors. I rushed to smooth it away, but the door swung open before I could get it all off.

My mother stepped in, her eyes scanning the room. "What have you been up to?" she asked, her gaze landing on the covered canvas.

"Nothing important. Just a little painting," I replied too quickly, my heart pounding in my chest. I hoped she wouldn't pry.

She sighed, a knowing smile creeping onto her lips. "You're going to have to clean up better than that. We'll be heading to the castle soon, and I'd rather you not look like a paintbrush exploded in here."

I laughed nervously, attempting to brush away the remaining paint. "I'll be ready in a minute, I promise."

"Just make sure you do," she said, shaking her head in amusement. "It wouldn't do for the prince to see you like this."

As she turned to leave, I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. The tension eased slightly, but the knowledge of what I was hiding tugged at me. I glanced back at the covered painting, my heart still heavy with the weight of my secret.

Once I heard my mother's footsteps fade down the hall, I carefully lifted the cloth and gazed at Aria's image one more time. The emotions surged within me-beauty, longing, guilt... I quickly draped it back, forcing myself to focus on the day ahead.

The castle loomed into sight. I had no idea what Prince Rowan could have had planned for us but a boat ride didn't cross my mind.

I sat in the boat, my fingers gripping the sides as Rowan rowed with earnest determination. The lake shimmered in the afternoon sun, and though the scenery was beautiful, my thoughts were clouded, weighed down by a memory that refused to fade. It was only days earlier that I had been an unraveled mess before Princess Aria, muttering words I never thought would come out of my mouth. The image I painted on my canvas. And there I was, on a boat with his brother hoping to find a fruitful connection.

We arrived at the middle of the lake, my parasol shielding my eyes from the sun. Rowan spoke animatedly beside me, his handsome features illuminated by the sunlight. "I saw your painting of Aria by the way," he said, breaking my reverie. "It's incredible. You're really talented."

I felt a warmth rise in my cheeks. "Thank you," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady. "It was easy considering how beautiful she already is."

Rowan smiled, and I could see genuine admiration in his gaze. "Amazing. I couldn't paint a flower even if I tried." He laughed

"Aria said the same thing. But you don't have to paint everything as you see it. It removes the personal essence of the painter," I said.

He chuckled softly. "Perhaps, but I don't think I could ever express myself as well as you do with your art." His tone shifted slightly. "You know, Aria hasn't been able to let go of that painting. She had it framed and everything."