XII: Shadows in the Garden

Rowan

The light from the setting sun spilled through the tall windows of my chambers, illuminating the room and casting a soft glow across the floor. I stood before the mirror leaning closer, examining the bruised skin, a sickly hue of purples and greens. It would heal, just as I would learn to endure the endless parade of social gatherings and smiling faces.

Behind me, the drawer lay open. I gazed at the raven feathers I had collected over the past few days, their deep black glistening in the fading light. I could never get rid of the feeling that I was being silently and closely watched by a weird entity.

My shirt lay discarded on the bed, the cool air brushing against my skin. I dressed quickly, donning my crisp shirt that felt as constricting as always, an unwelcome embrace I had grown accustomed to. I pulled on my coat and headed for the doors.

The ballroom awaited, filled with laughter and the clinking of glasses, a cacophony that I should know by now, I always found suffocating. Stepping into the corridor, the distant sounds of the event grew louder.

As I walked through the grand doors, I spotted her amidst the swirling gowns and dapper suits, Hyacinth. She donned a light yellow gown that seemed to catch the light itself, flowing around her like sunlight through trees. The corset hugged her figure perfectly, accentuating her curves, while blossoms adorned her dress, placed artfully along the bodice. Ruffles cascaded delicately down the skirt, giving her an air of ethereal grace. Her sleeves flirted with gravity, almost slipping off her shoulders, yet held firm, framing her delicate arms clad in lace gloves. A fan dangled from her wrist, the intricate designs matching the motifs of her gown, fluttering gently as she conversed with a group of admirers.

I approached her as she turned to meet my gaze. Her smile was radiant, an antidote to the unease that settled in my chest. I had never felt so relaxed around a woman. If my mother's matchmaking fails, we would still be friends. “Your Highness,” she greeted, her voice soft but clear amidst the chaos. “I thought you might not join us tonight.”

“Duty calls,” I replied, forcing a lightness to my tone that I didn’t quite feel. “And you, looking as enchanting as ever, are hard to resist. My mother also said that I had to come.”

She laughed, a sound like tinkling bells. “You flatter me. I must say, I was worried I’d be left to dance with the walls.”

“With all the admirers you had around before I got here, I doubt that that would be the case. How about we don't waste any more time.” I offered my hand, and she took it, her touch ever so light.

We glided onto the dance floor, the world around us fading into a blur. As we moved, the music enveloped us, each note a thread binding us closer. “Tell me,” she said, her gaze earnest, “do you ever find peace amidst all this?” She gestured towards the crowded room, her brow slightly furrowed.

“Peace? Only when I’m far from it all,” I admitted, a hint of sincerity slipping through my practiced smile. “Sometimes, I find it in the quiet places, like the garden.”

“Your mother's garden is indeed beautiful,” she replied. “Perhaps one day, you’ll take me for another stroll there.”

“Perhaps,” I echoed.

But just then, that eerie breeze swept through the ballroom, wrapping around me like a whisper, sending shivers down my spine. I glanced towards the garden doors, half-tempted to escape the suffocating atmosphere. Soon, the song ended. “Excuse me,” I said abruptly, “I need some air.”

Hyacinth’s brow creased in concern, but I offered her a reassuring nod before slipping away from the crowded room. As I stepped into the garden, the coolness wrapped around me like a shroud, and the rustling leaves seemed to speak in hushed tones.