VII: A Raven

Garrick

'I really do need to figure out how to stop the ridiculous shedding.' I thought to myself as I walked into my home. It was dark, dreary and void of life. Exactly how I like it. Everything in its rightful place as it should be and everybody in their correct homes away from me. One would say I fell in love with the silence. Only surrounded by the rustle of the trees and the quiet breeze.

I hung my cloak on the coat stand by the door and settled myself onto my arm chair. My head hung low supported by the forehead using the palm of my right hand as I recalled the events of the meeting I just had with the king. His beautiful wife stood right behind him rubbing his shoulders to relieve his stress and keep his anger from bursting. He was evidently disappointed that I did not have any useful information for him just yet. His anger only seemed to rise when I told him that I encountered a bit of a distraction.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU GOT DISTRACTED? DO WANT THE DAMN ROCK OR NOT????" He yelled. I could see the veins threaten to burst at the side of his head.

The queen attempted to cool down that anger by saying, "Well, I've heard the women of Xerovia are quite the sight for sore eyes. It would explain why our men run off there to find brides."

I couldn't bring myself to admit that my distraction had nothing to do with the women. The women were indeed magnificent. I won't deny that. But it takes more than a decorated lady to steal my attention so why was it so easy for..... Nevermind. The king was right to lose his temper as I had not fully completed my task.

"I'm sorry," I simply said, "but I did take note of the military placements. Due to the trading activities and general travellers, the focus on the border is concentrated. Still, it won't hinder your entrance as much. And that is exactly how it is all over. Carefully guarded but also sparse. A thoughtful strategy would be required. In addition, peace has been kept for eons and so the royal family sees no need to heighten their security."

The king seemed to ponder for a moment as the queen continued along his back but he soon signalled me to take my leave. And so I did. I didn't want to spend a single second there anyway.