Two

You walked quickly, trying to keep up with McGonagall, who moved briskly. It was peculiar to see the normally bustling corridors devoid of life. The only noise was the sound of footsteps and the paintings, whom were animatedly chatting to each other, about nothing in particular.

After a relatively silent journey to the headmistress' office, you lingered in front of the Gargoyle, who was guarding the entrance, just like he had always done. It was somewhat nice to see that somethings had stayed the same.

"Password?" He asked, leering at you. You stepped back, a little wary.

McGonagall hurriedly answered. "Pear Drop." She had decided to maintain Dumbledore's fondness for retro Muggle sweet-themed passwords, bringing a small smile to your face.

The wall slid across, to reveal a plush office, with warm lighting. You glanced around, taking it all in; it reminded you of Dumbleldore and made you feel more at home. Fawkes the Phoenix was perched on a bookcase, looking very magnificent and proud. He ruffled his feathers at you, which was a sign of greeting you returned with a grin.

McGonagall drifted silently over to the desk, inviting you to sit down with a wave of her hand. It was only then that you noticed Draco Malfoy sitting in the other chair, his arms crossed and cool grey eyes glaring at his surroundings. He caught you staring at him and smirked, causing your cheeks to heat up. You quickly looked away, pretending to be interested in an antique statue of a tabby cat that was placed on the desk, almost lost amongst the chaos of parchment and ornaments.

You sank down into the surprisingly comfortable chair, all too aware that he was still staring at you and there was absolutely nothing you could do about it.

Relief instantly washed over you when McGonagall began to speak, fully capturing both yours and Draco's attention.

"Now, I'm sure you're both confused as to why I brought you here. The reason I called for this meeting is because I believe that, together, you two would be an incredible team." She started, although her words didn't seem to make much sense. You and Draco working together was a weird concept, considering everything that had happened between you and him. "That is why I have appointed you Head Boy and Head Girl." She stated, smiling.

You stood up and thanked McGonagall, grateful for such a wonderful opportunity. It had been amazing news to find out that you were able to return and complete your education and to receive such a role was more than you could've asked for. You couldn't wait to write a letter, telling your parents!

You were one of the smartest witches of your age, hugely intrigued by everything about magic, but sometimes felt like your shyness controlled you. This honour proved that you were capable of taking on huge responsibilities.

Malfoy, on the other hand frowned. "Why me, Professor? Potter or Weasley would be a much better choice than me. I-I was a Death Eater." He spat, as though it disgusted him to even say the words. Perhaps Malfoy was ashamed of his past, perhaps he'd had no choice in what he had to do.

McGonagall sighed, like she had expected this to happen. "Mr. Malfoy, I am very aware of your past. But, because of your excellent grades over the years, you deserve a second chance to redeem yourself. I also know that you were threatened and had to do what you did." She replied calmly, as Draco furrowed his eyebrows.

"As part of this role, the two of you will be sharing a living area for the remainder of the academic year, to help enforce unity between all of the houses. You will both have your own bedroom, but will have to share a bathroom. And no visitors allowed, unless you receive permission. The password to enter is 'Polyjuice Potion'." She finished, waving you both out of her office.