Chapter 38

Katniss POV

"W-what?" Asks Gale.

"Oh, hello Gale. You still look fabulous," Says Effie, walking through the doorway and pushing Gale aside. "But not as fabulous as Minho..."

"What?" Asks Haymitch.

"Oh, just a character from an old movie I found. He has amazing hair!"

Haymitch just smiles.

"Anyways," Says Effie, "I found a child all alone outside."

"What!?" Exclaims Gale, "I told her to stay home!"

"Well, don't worry. She's fine. I took her to my house, gave her some tea and cookies, and put on a movie for her."

"What movie?" Asks Prim.

"Aladdin."

"Oh! I've heard of that! It's really old."

"Yes. It is. It's from the 2000's."

Gale looks at me.

"Will you help me?" He asks.

"No," I say, "I want you to leave. Now." I pull out my pocket knife.

"Go ahead, Katniss. Gut me like your squirrels."

"I would but there's children," I say, gesturing to Peeta and Prim.

"I have a child! Help me with her!"

"And why would I do that!?"

"Because we're best friends! Catnip. Please. Forgive me. I...I didn't know that Prim was there. Hell, I didn't even know we were bombing the capital children. All I did was help Beetee make the bomb. That's all."

"You tried to kill Peeta. About half a year ago."

"I know, and I'm-"

"Sorry? You aren't. You really aren't. You know that. You hate Peeta. You want him dead because I'm in love with him and not you."

"But why? Why not me?"

"You are full of strength, a fire that burns bright in the pit of your stomach. I don't need that. I have enough fire myself. What I need is a gentle breeze after a harsh storm, the smell of fresh bread, a dandelion in the spring. I need Peeta."

"He's nothing like you, Catnip..."

"He evens me out. He completes me. He understands. You? You weren't in the games. Peeta and I have dreams, horrible dreams. And we understand what it's like, and we help each other."

Gale just stares at his face.

"That is why I love Peeta. And that is why I say no."