Chapter 21

Katniss POV

***

Peeta and I are sitting outside Gale's room at the hospital. "Why are we even here Peeta? I hate him!?"
"I don't even know"
"Well, I'm gonna go call Hazel.

I leave where me and Peeta where sitting and go to the pay phone. Thats right. I don't have a cell phone. At the moment they're only in the capital. They offered the victors phones, but I said no. People in the districts have started to get house phones. I dial in Hazel's number and wait.

"Katniss?"
"Hazel?"
"Hello"
"Hi"
"How are you?"
"I'm...fine"
"What's wrong sweetie?"
"Gale's in the hospital!"
"What? Why? Wait, he's in district 12?"
"Yes"
"Wait, what happened?"
"He got shot...by me..."
"Katniss!"
"I'm sorry!"
"Why would you-"
"He kissed me! And he told me he loved me!"
"But, why-"
"AND HE TRIED TO STAB PEETA!"
"Why?"
"Because when Gale declared his love for me I told him that I love Peeta instead..."
"Aww, sweetie"
"Yea..."
"I'll be there as soon as possible. Okay?"
"Okay. Bye Hazelle"
"Bye Katniss. And please, don't shoot Gale again"
"I only shot his arm. I used a bow and-"
"No, just don't shoot him again"
"Okay, I won't"
"Okay, good"
"Bye Hazelle"
"Bye Katniss have a nice day"

As I hang up a doctor walks out of Gale's room. Talk about great timing.

"Gale Hawthorn?",asks the doctor. Peeta starts to get up. "Peeta" He looks at me. "Gale...doesn't really like you at the moment,so..." "Yea, I get it" Peeta gives me a quick kiss and I walk into Gale's room.

"Hey Catnip",Gale says as I walk in the room. His face starts to light up. "Hi Gale"
"You shot me?"
"I did..."
"Why?"
"Don't you remember?"
"Yea, I was just teaching bread boy not to mess with you"

"I have a name",Peeta says, as he walks in the room" "You! I'll kill you!",Says Gale, full of rage. "Stop it Gale! I love Peeta not you! You need to just move on with your life! I DON'T LOVE YOU!",I say. Gale's eyes start getting watery. Then Hazelle walks in and I walk out. Peeta follows close behind.

***

"Peeta I'm worried about Gale"
"Don't be Katniss. I'm here, always"

And with that, I fall asleep in my little bread boys arms and whisper,

"Always"