I Wish (Sergio Ramos) #11

After the whole ordeal with Fernando, it was finally the day Annabelle would visit her doctor concerning her cancer. She was nervous, she didn't want to be here, not now, not ever. Especially with her boyfriend right beside her. Despite the fact it was his best intentions on coming with her, and they had agreed on him coming (though now she was regretting the idea), she didn't want him here anymore. She didn't want him to witness her break down crying in front of him. She just wished all her problems would go away somehow. She's been wishing since she discovered she had cancer. And for once in her lifetime had she made a wish on her birthday candles. Prior to this year she thought they were futile. And though she does not doubt the fact they really are useless, it was nice to have at least wished for it. "Just breathe." Sergio instructed his girlfriend who was shaking in front of him. His hands were massaging her shoulders gently as they waited outside the doors of her doctor's. As much as he didn't want her to go in there, he knew it was for the best. They had to figure out the full diagnostic of her condition. He bit his lip in remembrance of how their best friend took it. Poor Nando. Sergio thought to himself with a shake of his head. Fernando took it the worse by far he had broken down in front of the pair even before she got to complete her sentence. It broke their hearts to see him like that. But by the time he arrived at the airport with his children and wife, he composed himself. The hug goodbye was particularly tighter on Annabelle's than usual though. "Come on we're in this together." Sergio assured her as she pushed open the doors. Her heart pounded violently against her chest as Sergio went up to make them know she was here for the appointment. She sat down on one of the chairs in anticipation. She would have broken out into a cold sweat if Sergio hadn't forced her to eat chocolate beforehand. It always calmed her down for some reason.

Annabelle watched as her boyfriend checked her in. He sat by the front desk, a few seats away from hers, and worked on the papers. She thought of the first time Sergio had cared for her like this, when there was no one else to turn to but him. When he was the only one there for her. Of course it was in the beginning of their friendship, their juvenile years. Annabelle had just broken a foot and she didn't know what to do about it. Her dad was away on a business trip, Fernando was with family, and Sergio had a game to attend that day so there was no one to call. There was no one to help her. She had been practicing a new dance move, and as often as she danced, not once had she broken anything. The pain was unbearable to handle and she just lay there. Dry tears stained her face after ten minutes of crying. She finally was able to stop once she figured how sorry she was feeling for herself. If she had a mother she would only think that she'd be home in time to help her own daughter out. But no, she didn't have one and that's how her life was. Annabella continued to question why she was one of the unlucky ones.

"Annabella dios mio!" Sergio felt his heart drop to his stomach when he found her lying down on the floor of her studio. He had a terrible feeling at the pit of his stomach earlier this morning during practice and he wasn't able to play with it. Despite his coach's protests, he was able to sneak out before he got caught. The first place he thought to go to was Annabelle's, it just seemed right to him. He was well aware her father wasn't home and knew she would be. She made an effort to dance everyday around the time he left. Upon the arrival to his house, the heavy feeling in the pit of his stomach grew worse when he didn't even hear the sound of music playing. Annabelle's car was in the driveway, yes, so it meant she hadn't left. When he found her in the lying on the floor of her studio his heart stopped at the sight. Just lying there, with her foot twisted at an awkward angle. He rushed to her side and lifted her head up gently. He could see the tear stains on her face. "What happened!" He cursed himself in the head for not coming sooner. She was hurt! Annabelle couldn't help but feel terrible. While he tried to wrap his arms around her waist, she slapped his hands away.

"Get out of here!" She barked at him, angry he would miss a very important game for her. "Sergio you have a game, leave!" He slapped her lightly on the face, upset she would ever think like that.

"If you think that I would choose a game over you any day you're really stupid." Were his words to shut her up before he lifted her with ease. Her carried her all the way to her car and comforted her with soothing words as he made his way to the hospital. She mumbled a thank you when he finally sat her down on the chair of the emergency room. He shook his head before her got her a nurse. She felt her heart swell to have someone as caring as him. If he hasn't came who knows what she would have done. It hurt to much to even walk and she was still in shock over what happened. Annabelle was about to take the clipboard from him when he propped a seat beside her. She told him to go, he could still make it to the game. Her eyes lingered on his attire, his team kit. Cleats and all. "Annabelle they'll be fine without me." Sergio laid a hand against her cheek and caressed it softly. "You're way more important than a match," He looked into her blue eyes and ignored the strange feeling in his chest. It wasn't like earlier it was a good feeling in his chest. "you matter to me so shut up," A slowly smile crept on his face when he said this. "and tell me how to spell your father's name." His hand left her cheek to write down what was needed, and left her cheek in the cold. She liked the affection.

"Neña." Sergio jabbed his finger to the side of his girlfriend's cheek. Again he knew she had spaced out, already seeing that look one too many times to not know. "It's our turn." He gave her a half hearted smile. "C'mere." He wrapped his arms protectively around her and she immediately embraced him back. She let the tears fall, and felt the water seep through his shirt. "Ssh. It's going to be fine, I'm going to do everything to make sure this will go away." Sergio kissed the top of her bed. He stepped back, rubbed her arms, and tilted his head towards the door. Annabelle nodded her head with a small smile.

"Wait–" She turned to him before she pushed open the door. Her hand was to his abdomen. "I never got to thank you." Sergio asked for what. "For... bringing me to the hospital when we were teenagers, for today... for everything." She looked up to him with a genuine smile. "I'm being corny I know but that's what girlfriends are supposed to be like. Corny. Just... thank you for being my best friend Sergio, I don't know what I'd be without you." She leaned up to kiss him lightly on the lips. Sergio's lips curved to a smile as he pressed against hers. She pulled away slightly out of breath, but feeling a whole lot better. Annabelle intertwined her fingers with his before going into the room.

"Ah, hola señorita Miglionico!" Her doctor greeted the sullen faced blonde. "How have things been?" There was a smile on her doctor's face which ticked her off slightly.

"Oh well I have cancer I don't know how would you feel!" Annabelle snapped at him angrily. She bit back her tongue, not entirely meaning it. Her doctor's eyes widened in surprised and wondered if she had gotten the letter. "What letter?" Annabelle wondered if there was another letter.

"The one we sent about a week ago." Her doctor said innocently. Annabelle remembered which one. She came home one day, stifled through her mail and found the familiar office logo printed on the side. In a fit of anger, she threw it out without bothering to open it. "We were going to call you but figured it would save more time." Her doctor shrugged. Annabelle felt her cheeks flare in embarrassment. "And judging by the way you're blushing I'm assuming you didn't even bother to read it." She chuckled. Sergio glared, neither of them knew what was on the letter and for all they knew her do for could have been mocking her. "I assure you and your boyfriend that it isn't bad." The good thing about Annabelle's doctor was that she was old, she didn't care much for celebrities. Mostly because of the fact she didn't care to own a television.

"Well?" Sergio urged with an eager look on his face. The second he heard the words 'isn't bad,' his heart nearly leaped out of his chest. Annabelle was just as ecstatic as he.

"You're negative." The doctor blatantly explained to her with a wide smile on her face. Annabelle stood their shocked. She was dreaming, she had to be. She clamped her pointer and thumb fingers on a piece of her arm. "The mammogram scan was a false positive." The doctor sat on her swivel chair and slid to where her computer was. "This does happen." Sergio asked how they could mistake it. "False positives are partly due to dense tissues bag obscure the cancer. Also with the fact that the appearance of cancer with mammograms have a large overlap with regular tissues." Annabelle didn't fully comprehend what she had just said, but all she got was the fact she was negative. She didn't have cancer. She wasn't going to... Sergio couldn't help himself anymore and grabbed Annabelle's face in his hands and kissed her. She was caught off guard but could feel the emotions he felt. They were relief, happiness, hope in a future! What mattered the most was that they could spend it for until they grow old together.