Chapter 6

Two weeks later on a Saturday Nicki's house was bustling with trouble as it had been since the kids got comfortable living with her.

"I don't understand . . . They said that the dinosaurs are extinct but I saw one yesterday in our backyard?" Perrie was saying as Nicki tried to help her to study for a science test.

"Perrie I'm pretty sure that was a lizard." Nicki said paging through Perrie's text book.

"Mam, mam Prodigy and Roc Royal put gum in me hair!" Jade came running into the dining room trying to untangle her hair which had gum stuck in it.

"Oh Jadey." Nicki said, "hold on Perrie." Nicki moved to try and help Jade.

"Hold on to what?" Perrie questioned making Nicki sigh.

"Why do those boys keep doing this?" Nicki couldn't get the gum out it was just sticking to everything. "Where are they? Prodigy and Roc Royal!!" She screamed.

"Huh? Yes Mom?" Both their heads popped into the entrance of the dining room. "Did you call? We couldn't really hear you over the sound of our innocence." They said together but at different speeds.

Nicki sighed. "Why did you do this?" She gestured to Jade's hair.

"Do what?" Prodigy asked.

"Study for our social studies test?" Roc asked.

"No why did you put gum in your sister's hair?" Nicki said taking up a pair of scissors. She was going to have to cut the gum out. Thankfully it was stuck around the end and Jade had long thick hair so it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

"Perrie looks fine to me?" Prodigy said innocently. "Don't you think Roc?" He said in what Nicki assumed to be a British accent.

Roc Royal nodded, "Yes quite eloquent." He said mimicking the accent.

"You're using the word eloquent wrongly." Jade said annoyed, "Wait Mam what are you doing? Don't cut off me hair!" Jade started squirming around.

"I'm not cutting it off I'm just trimming the end where the gum is."

"I think you should cut off the whole thing." Prodigy said as he and Roc Royal left the room.

"I'll deal with you two later!" Nicki yelled as she got Jade to sit and be still.

There suddenly came loud banging noises from the kitchen and Nicki groaned.

"Jesy Nelson is here! Jesy Nelson is HERE!" Jesy came into the dining room banging pots and pans together and yelling at the top of her voice.

"Owww." Jade shrieked.

"Sorry Jade." Nicki said thinking she pulled on Jade's hair too hard.

"No Jesy's yelling too loud. Me head hurts." Jade grabbed at her head.

"Jes. Please be quiet." Nicki said trying not to yell. "You're hurting Jadey."

Jesy stopped banging the pots. "Fine I'll just go outside and play in the mud!" Jesy screamed then ran off. "Hey bozos come play football with me outside!" She could be heard screaming. There was a faint reply from Prodigy and Roc Royal.

Nicki sighed. She didn't expect these kids to be so much work. But she loved them anyway and couldn't imagine going back to living alone.

"Mam?" Jade asked softly.

"Hmmmh?"

"Err . . . I didn't really want to ask this but . . . do you think you could em take me to the ophthalmologist?"