Chapter 24

By April the rapist had been caught and things had returned to whatever normal meant at Nicki's house. It was a Friday night the sixth of April. Leigh-Anne and Princeton were on a Mathlete camping trip as the team was prepping up for a statewide competition.

Perrie and Jade were chasing Prodigy and Roc Royal who'd taken their doll and ran. Ray Ray was at a sleepover with his friend Justin. Jesy was up in her room doing who knows what.

"Prod and Roc give them back their doll!" Nicki said joining the chase for the doll the boys took.

Meanwhile it was the first time in a long while that Jesy had to go to bed without Leigh-Anne. She was in her room getting ready to sleep. She had decided to retire early in order to minimize the amount of time she had to spend alone. She wanted to call Jade but Jade seemed busy at the moment and she didn't want to interrupt.

Jesy turned out the lights in her room and lied in her bed. She'd promised Leigh-Anne before she left that she'd be strong. She could do this. Leigh-Anne would be back. Leigh-Anne swore she'd be back. Jesy rolled over. She wasn't very tired. She got out of bed and decided that she'd sleep in Leigh-Anne's bed instead. That way she'd be wrapped up in her smell. She loved the way Leigh-Anne mixed different soaps and body washes to create a unique smell. It was the smell of happiness as Leigh-Anne called it.

Jesy sighed. She'd be able to do it. It was true that she was the weaker out of them. Leigh-Anne was able to interact with other people and make new friends where as Jesy preferred to scare people away. Jesy didn't like meeting people or talking to them. She always knew in the back of her mind that no one would like her. In fact it wasn't in the back of her mind it was just in her mind. The voices always said it and she knew it. It was true.

Jesy knew for a fact that one day Leigh-Anne wouldn't need her anymore. She knew that Leigh-Anne would get over the fears she had and be able to function normally in the world. Leigh-Anne was strong like that. She'd grow up and grow wise and make new friends and meet new people and then get married to some handsom man and have kids. It would happen because Leigh-Anne was a fighter and everyone who comes in contact with her loves her. Jesy on the other hand she knew that she was weak and would never make other friends and never be normal and never get married and never have kids. Jesy knew that when Leigh-Anne stopped needing her she would stop living because she was living because Leigh-Anne needed her.

Her sole purpose in life was to be there for Leigh-Anne because Leigh-Anne was the only person who was there for her. Ugh how did I end up thinking like this? Jesy asked herself. She was just saying how she could make it and now she was depressed thinking about her lack of a future.

You're thinking like this because you know it's true, said the woman in her head.

You actually think that girl is coming back? Asked the man in her head.

"Yes she is. She said she'll be back." Jesy replied softly to the voices. Being alone allowed her to reply to them out loud, making it easier to separate her actual thoughts from theirs. Although she supposed that they were all her thoughts really.

No she's not. She's moved on with her new Mathlete friends and the curly haired boy. He is a much better best friend than you could ever be to her. The woman came again.

Frankly I think everyone in this house is fed up with you. The man snickered.

That's right we want you to die. Prodigy's voice came next.

Yeah everything'll be better for everyone if you died. Roc Royal's voice.

"Just because you want me to die doesn't mean everyone else does." Jesy challenged them.