Chapter 24: Quick Stop

It took us a half-hour to cross the island and reach downtown Arcadia, as Professor Cloud drove carefully along the long stretch of road from one side of the island to the other. He dropped us off at the Victory Mall and let us be.

"I'll be in the first stall in the parking structure, Shizuo," he told me through a rolled-down passenger window as we left the limousine. I flashed a thumbs-up to him to tell him that I got the message.

Faith brushed past me and glanced back as she made her way to the Starbucks.

"Hey Shizuo, I think I left my wallet in my bag with Professor Cloud, do you think you can cover me?"

She winked. I scoffed as I caught up with her and held the door open for her and the others. I took out my wallet from my right pocket and handed it to her.

"Get me a Vanilla Bean Frappé while you're at it then."

She giggled a bit before walking into the café. Iris and Koneko filed in behind her, followed by Keita and Riku, then Mizu and Falen. I looked back over at the sidewalk where Professor Cloud dropped us off only to find Satsujin standing by himself on the edge of the sidewalk, his eyes fixed forward across the street at a cupcake bakery with his hands pocketed, but judging by the look of seriousness on his face, I didn't think he was interested in the cupcakes.

I let the door close on its own and walked over to Satsujin, looking out at the cupcake bakery as well.

"What's on your mind, Satsujin?"

His reply was delayed, "Am I obliged to answer that?"

I clenched my jaws, "You wouldn't be here if I didn't let you, Satsujin, so yes, I do believe that I am entitled to some cooperation from you. I don't know why you wanted to come with us, but I want to, so tell me: Why are you coming on this trip with us?"

"Those are two different questions, Shizuo. Which would you like answered?"

"How about the first one, then?"

Satsujin smirked a bit and raised his right hand forward, pointing at the cupcake bakery.

"I was wondering why one would dedicate his or herself to a shop that only makes cupcakes."

I sighed and face palmed. What a guy...

I laughed a bit before patting Satsujin twice on the back.

"Well I'll be inside, Satsujin, come in when you're ready."

"I'll pass," he stepped out into the street and began walking across it, "I'd rather get some cupcakes."

He's almost as bad as Keita... I thought to myself as he crossed the road.

I walked back to the Starbucks and walked inside, feeling the aromatic air just as much as I smelled it. It seemed like everybody had already ordered their drinks and was waiting at a series of close booths. Iris walked up to me, some sort of pink tea in hand, and leaned into me, nudging my side with her elbow.

"Hey hey, Shizuo, so when are you going to ask her out?" She smirked playfully with her words.

I backed up to try to get some space between us, but Iris advanced with me.

"Woah woah, Iris, that's a little straightforward, don't you think?" I started to blush slightly as I looked up at Faith, who was laughing with Koneko in the booth seat facing me, Koneko facing away from me. She looked up at me and we locked eyes. She kept a smile on her face and we stayed like that for a while. Iris must've of noted this because she slapped me out of my daze.