Chapter 4: Break

Sure enough, the few minutes of class came to an end and signaled the start of break. Only 1/3 done with the day, yay.

Keita, Riku, and I stayed behind as everybody left the classroom. It was a habit of ours for an unknown reason. Whatever the reason was, Professor Cloud raised an eyebrow as he looked at us while organizing some papers on his desk.

"You boys going to break?"

I spoke up, "Yeah, we just like to stay behind..."

Professor Cloud simply shrugged and returned his eyes to papers, talking to us while looking down.

"So, Shizuo, is it safe to say that you, Keita, and Riku will be taking on some of the higher level requests this year?"

I nodded, even though I knew that Professor Cloud couldn't see my gesture.

"Of course, that was our hope in moving up to CL-9, sir."

"I might that add that the previous missions were too easy and mocked our abilities," Keita added.

"They did get a little repetitive, Keita, but you don't have to say it like that," Riku said as he smiled happily. He always had a smile on.

Professor Cloud showed that he agreed with Keita by "Mmm"-ing, then said nothing. Our cue to leave.

"We'll see you in bit, Professor," I told our teacher as we filed out, I being the the last to leave.

We made our way down a few hallways until we came out into the upper commons where the cafeteria and lunch tables were. The space was crowded with people, the main reason being the food. Unlike many other schools, our cafeteria served some pretty good meals. It's always "gourmet this" an "gourmet that," but hey, I'm not complaining.

"What took you guys so long to get back to class? You weren't that hurt, were you, Keita?" Riku teased.

"No," Keita replied stolidly, "We just delayed the time it took to arrive back at the classroom. We already know the curriculum."

"Lucky you..."

Riku was on the same level of everybody else in our grade in terms of intellect and unlike us, actually had to pay attention in class to keep up. Keita, well, just knows things and I just like to learn ahead, I've know this stuff side freshman year. Besides, I need a superior understanding of math and science in order to design the things I do for my father's and my business.

We made our way to the surprisingly quick-moving lunch line and picked up our food: gourmet pizza. We sat down at a square table table with four seats, leaving one seat unoccupied. I reached for a napkin, only to find that we weren't given any.

"I'll be right back, guys."

I got up from my seat and began to make my way towards the lunch line, where the last four people waited. The first three were a group of girls, but the last was a boy, waiting by himself, that I recognized slightly, but couldn't place it as to where I knew him from.

His appearance itself was hostile. His hair was long and black. He wore over his all-black clothes a trench coat. Underneath the coat, I could see a chain loosely wrapped around his neck that spiraled around his left arm. At the end of his arms were claws. Even for the GATE Academy, he seemed a little sketchy.

I approached the other student and waited behind him quietly for a little bit before speaking up. Leaning over to his left side slightly to get his attention.

"Hey, do I know you?"

I asked him, grinning a little to put to rest any uneasiness.

He looked back at me with surprisingly soft black eyes.