Chapter 20: Goodbye, my love

Alec's POV

Everything fell apart because of that stupid vision. Aro had just ruined everything without even realising. He had tore apart not just his chance at adding a psychic to his collection but my chance to mate permanently with the woman I loved. I felt never ending numbness creep up above me. I had no idea how to make her believe that I wasn't lying. And honestly I wasn't. It killed me to know that she was suffering because of a misunderstanding. Every moment without her was like a century without ever breathing. You can still live but you would be missing half the world around you. I had to get a move on, think about what I could do to repair whatever was left of our relationship. I got up and shook off the rubble on my body. I took off my swimming trunks and put on a fresh black shirt and black jeans. On the ground, I found Sam's shirt covered in white dust. I picked it up. It was a cute red top with a Disney mouse character on it. I put it to my face and inhaled the scent that hung to it. A scent that I already missed. I could not wait any longer. I darted out of the cottage, leaving my belongings there. I still had my mother's necklace in my hands. My grip on it tightened, but I restrained myself when I realised I could crush it to dust if I wasn't careful. I pushed myself over my limit, running faster than I ever had in my entire life. I ran towards the direction that my heart led me to.

Sam's POV

I was packing and throwing my few skinny jeans, t-shirts, jackets and shoes in a huge Betsy Johnson bag. I grabbed the bag and the gym bag I had planned for our trip. Anger was the only thing that kept me going and composed. I just wanted to crawl in a corner, curl up in a ball and whimper till my body mummified from lack of blood. But over my damned body was I going to allow him to see me like that. I would keep strong and fierce till I get out if Italy then I would fall to pieces on the outside to match my rotting insides. I made my way towards the throne room. Just my rotten luck, I met Dimitri on the way.

"Hey, Sam. I thought you and Alec would be away longer than- hey! Somebody has been naughty! You and-" I cut him of. I slammed him hard across the wall.

"Do I look in the mood for this shit? Don't even mention him in front of me." I said icily. "Farewell, Dimitri. I probably won't see you in a really long time." I said and continued walking. I knocked on the throne room's door and somebody opened it.

"Ah, Samantha." Aro said gleefully as he probably recognised Alec's sent inside of me. I guess my glare was the reason why he frowned. "So, what brings you here?" he asked me.

"I wanted to thank you for your hospitality, but I will remove the burden of myself on you. I intend to leave. Now." I said firmly, trying to control the venom that escaped my lips.

"But... I though you would stay permanently with us now that you and Alec have mated. What about him, will you leave him behind?" he asked, looking at me as if I had gone insane.

"Unfortunately, there are some mistakes one cannot repair. And mine was being fooled and played like a child." I said, not managing to contain the hiss that escaped after I finished speaking. "Fortunately, I can always leave, because as you said, I have no bindings to here. Who knows, perhaps I could follow Carlisle Cullen's footsteps. Too bad you can't just lock me up, now is it?" Aro looked at me with eyes wide, as I replayed his words to him. Suddenly, Alec burst through the door. 

"Sam..." he said but I put up my hand. 

"I've had enough lies, Alec." I said to him. My voice even sounded convincing in my own ears. Yeah, the power of anger can do that to a person. To him I must have looked like I was already over him. 

"Is there anything we can do to change your mind?" Aro asked me helplessly.

"No. My mind is made up. I do not want to stay." I said. I turned around ignoring Alec completely. Though my heart was begging me to allow myself just one peek at him I refused. I ran in vampire speed until I was bombarded by two mini tornados.