18

Nat

I'm sitting alone on my bed in the dormitory when jay walks in looking pale.

"um, are you all right jay?"

"yes, im fine. I have something for you"

he passes me a piece of paper.

Nat

Meet me at the chasm, you know where 11pm tonight

love mom

i stare at in for a bit. the look at Jay

"how did you get this?" it wasn't a mean question, i was just curious.

"um, your dad gave it to me" he says. i raise a eyebrow at him, my mom says i look like dad when i do this.

"oh dear, are you all right, did my daddy scare you" i say sarcastically

"hey, he is scary, its the glare he gave me. if looks could kill i would be dead"

"aw, hes just a little over protective"

"a little is a huge understatement, if your mom let him he would beat me up"

"nah, he wouldn't, hes jus-"

a cold sneering voice cuts me of "whilst were on the subject of your daddy, who is he?"

"none of your business John, go away" says Jay, i wish he hadn't of.

"wait, your little boyfriend knows"

"shut up" i say and turn away

"i don't know what he sees in you, i mean its not like your well-" he looks me up and down, but before he can carry on jay spins around and punches him right in the face. I am so stunned I just sit there. Blood flows out his nose and he shouts, i come back to my senses to see Jay slamming his fist into him again, i stand up and rush to Jay and try to pull him of. I know that john deserves it but I also know what john is capable of and i also know, no one else is going to stop him. I try to get him of by pulling his arm, but as i am doing it his elbow connects with my face, the force makes me fall back onto the floor as hot pains shoot up my face from my cheek. There will be a bruise tomorrow, I am sure of it. Jay spins around to see me on the floor and as if realising what he just did his eyes go wide and he crouches next to me and puts his hand on my face.

"Nat i'm so sorry i didn't realise you were there i just, i cant believe i just hit you, are you all right?" he says everything quickly that it takes me a while to work it out my head hurts i think i bashed it on the floor on my way down. i nod slowly behind jay i see john stand up and spit blood onto the floor. I push myself up and lean against a bunk, Jay helps me but once i get my balance im fine, but my head throbs and cheek aches i must of hit my head head harder than i thought because my vision goes foggy when i move but i keep my balance, i hear jay saying somethings but a cant figure it out. i want to talk to my mom now i want to talk to s- but before i can finish my thought i feel a pressure on my lips. I kiss Jay back not really realising whats going on I sit down on my bunk until my head stops throbbing and i can just feel a faint thud, i stand up again and see that everyone is looking at me

"what?" i say

"come one Nat lets get out of here" says jay

"ok" i say and let him lead me out of the dorms

we get to a deserted corridor and he stops and looks at me

"what?" i say again but more irritated. he looks from side to side to check if anyone is there then looks back at me and says quietly

"you were talking about your mom and you almost said six, so i had to shut you up"

"no i wasn't" he sighs

"yes you were" then i realise why he kissed me. To shut me up.

i look down, but he takes my chin and lifts it with his fingertips, i look into his eyes for a while then he brings his other hand up and brushes the place where his elbow hit me and sighs again.

"I'm sorry" he says
"its all right, you didn't mean to do it"
"still, I hate the thought that i hurt you"
"I'm fine Jay, honestly" he kisses my nose
"are you sure"
"positive" I say smiling softly. He kisses my mouth this time and presses me against the wall, one hand on my cheek one on my waist. I put my arms around him and pull him close. We pull apart and i lean my head on his chest and he puts his head on my shoulder. we stay like that for a long time.

when i finally look at my watch it is 10 to 11. I need to meet my mom in 10 minutes.
" I have to go" I whisper "my mum is expecting me"
"Ok" he whispers back. I give him one more kiss and walk off.

When I reach the chasm I look at y watch. 11:00pm exactly. I walk along the slippery stones till I get I the flattest one and sit and wait. after five minutes of waiting I begin to wonder if she forgot but I doubt it. then I see my mum walking down the rocks. I stand and embrace her.
"Hi mom" I say over her shoulder she pulls away to look at me. "what did u want to talk about?"
"Why did u let Mandy jones beat u in your last fight if act why have u only beaten three people out of all your fights" she says calmly still looking at me. I look down at the ground because I can't stand her disappointment as she looks at me. and because I know I am a coward for not standing up to John.
"I.... I.. it was... I mean.... " I trail of I can't tell her, who knows what will happen to jay next of me or any I my friends "I guess I'm not so good at fighting" I try but unsuccessfully. she looks at me in the eye
"Nat we both know u are not a bad fighter u could probably take down and dauntless, so why please, please tell me the truth I want to help u"
I sigh because I know she will get it out of me one way or another
"Well, the night jay was beaten up John threatened me, he said worse would happen if I stayed top in the ranks so I dropped Down, but jay didn't. I am a coward for not standing up to him jay isn't he continued fighting good he is probably top in initiation. Im sorry mom" I look down again because I can't stand her gaze
"Nat, u are not a coward, John is a coward for doing that u are brave for possibly threatening u position in dauntless for your friends, I are the bravest girl I know"
"Mom, u have to say that" she smiles and says
"No more of it, u can't show him he has won, jay can take care of himself and so can u ok I will make sure u John does nothing else"
"Mom u can't he will think I told u do something else"
"Come on Nat, he has 'scared' about three other people he won't know who it was and after ur father has done something I doubt he will do anything"
"Ok"
"Now go, u wouldn't want to keep that boyfriend of yours waiting" she says grinning
"Mom!" I say with red cheeks
"What? Now go" she give me a hug and I leave.
The next morning I am so tired an can hardly get out of bed.