end of initiation

Jay and I stay huddled on the chairs in the waiting room. 1 hour. half an hour. fifteen minutes. Jay goes in. 10 minutes. 5 minutes. I get called in.

A women with short brown hair speaks.

"please sit here Nat" she points to a chair that is metal. I lay down and the cold metal seeps through my black cloths. I close my eyes and feel the sting of a needle in my neck. Don't show your divergent.  That is what my dad told me. Quick but no to quick or they will know. Slow but no to slow or I will fail. I take a deep breath and am surrounded by darkness.  They get louder but I am blinded. Calm down Nat, you are in a sim just breath. I stick my fingers in my ears and think of something else until a soft light hit my eyes. I am stood on the train and my dad and mom are there. They stare at me then look outside, we are passing the factionless. I feel something pushing me toward the door and look behind me but I can't see anything, the pushing gets stronger and I fight back, I scream and my parents to help and they just stare at me. OK Nat calm down it's a sim, How can I get through this quickly. Let it push me. The ground never comes but walls press toward me. Ok I have to stop this before it gets to bad, I have faced this one before. I try running at the wall but it just hurts, I try again and again and the walls get a bit to close, I take a deep breath and slam my hands against the side, it stops, but instead of the walls falling away they turn to glass and behind the glass fire licks up the sides of it and behind the flames I see all my friends laughing and chatting not even looking at me. The box gets hot and I find it hard to breath. face the fear. I kick the glass. by toes throb, I do it again and a crack appears, I do it one more time and my feet plunge into the fire. I only feel a moment of pain when I Am on the train tracks chasing the train, parents and Jay stare. Each time I try and grab the handle it get further away. "help me" I shout. They laugh.
"You are a disappointment, we don't want you" My mom shouts back.  All I have ever done is try to make them proud. If I can't do that what can I do right. Ok they don't really think that they are just a sim. I jump as far as I can and feel my fingers wrap around the cool steal just before I open my eyes to the simulation room.

"Congratulations Nat" Someone said. Hands clap my back and I get out of the chair.

"Dad!" I yell and we hug. He looks tired, but I can tell he is truly happy for me.
"From what i heard you got a great time" He whispers "I'm so proud of you"
"thanks" I smile back "How's mom?" I ask
"She's, well shes doing ok considering"
"and how are you" 
"I'm fine. Now this is time for celebration, go and find your friends and have fun
"OK thanks dad" i start walking away 
"Hey" he calls to me "But not to much fun" i smile and walk out. 

I walk to the dorms and everyone is laughing and talking 

"Nat" Lily calls "How was it?" 
"Well you know, facing your fears isn't fun, but i think it went well"
"I'm so happy, we are officially dauntless" 

We hug and i catch the eye of Jay.  I fun up to him and kiss him. 
"Well hello Nat" he says smiling  
"We are dauntless" I say 
"I know" 

before i can reply I Hear john say something to me, but i don't listen, I just kiss jay again. 

"Come on we better go get our scores" He says. 

We all sit down and the dauntless leader stands up. 

"Welcome new dauntless, and well done for passing initiation. Your times in the fear simulations will determine your jobs and were you live. This is the scores 

1# Nat 

I'm first. MY NAME IS AT THE TOP.  Cheers fill my ears. Screams fill the room. Laughter reaches me as people hug me and clap my back.  I look down the rest of the list.