Chapter 18

It was hard to believe, but the day was finally here. This is it. I am going back to see my best friends. I am going back to collect the results for the exam I've worked so hard for. I was all pumped up. I got ready for lunch and ran around the house, not being able to contain my joy. My mother rolled her eyes, slightly smiling at the same time. 

"You're not going to miss me are you?" questioned Helena. I laughed, and hugged her tightly. It was nearly time, and I packed up my final essential items and headed out into Dad's car. The ride to the airport was rather quiet. I was caught up in my thoughts, dreaming about things that would never happen. Not in a million years. I was shaken abruptly from my thoughts by my mother's voice.

"Time to go Pris. I will miss you, but take care of yourself alright. Call me every night, and call me when you reach Aunty's house. Love you."

"Love you too mom."

I waved good bye, as I walked into the departure hall yet again. I will be back in 2 days time, maybe that was why I wasn't feeling the pinch yet. I checked in, got my boarding pass and made my way into the flight. I finally got seated beside a very helpful man who helped me with my luggage. The flight was really long and I fell asleep as soon as it took off. When I was awake, I was there! I made my way out to meet my Uncle who was there to pick me up. After greeting him, I started yawning. It was 9 P.M. I was getting tired. I reached my Aunt's house soon after and went straight to bed. 

TINGringggtingringggtinggggringggg

My alarm clock sounded. I jolted awake, for the first time in my life I was in a good mood straight after waking up as these days were rare. I was finally meeting my friends! I got into the shower in a blink of an eye and got out equally as fast. I caught the usual bus to school, and saw my friends standing in the cafeteria talking about something. I ran up to them only to be engulfed by their hug. I hugged them back, and started talking to them about everything that had happened so far, leaving Percy out of it all. They wouldn't like it if I told them about him. They never did. I didn't want to spoil the moment. I caught Sophie staring at me, and I shot a smile back, through my eyes that is. I linked my arms with hers and made my way to the hall where the results were being handed out. 

My heart was palpitating vigorously in my chest. This was everything that I had been working for, for 2 years. This was hours of hard work, effort and sweat. I kept my fingers crossed as I went up front to collect my results slip from my teacher.

"Good to have you back Pris. I thought you had migrated with your family?"

"Yes, but I came back for this!" 

"Good luck then, she said with a faint smile."

She never smiled.

I tore my envelop open.

English - B

Ordinary Mathematics - A

Advanced Mathematics - A

Chemistry - B

Physics - B

Economics - B

I was happy but not overjoyed. It wasn't exactly the best but it was good enough. I used to fail Chemistry all the time, and I finally passed so that was good. I called Mom and Dad to tell them about my results and they didn't sound too pleased but asked me to have a good time nonetheless. Layla and Ariel seemed happy with their results. Val and Sophie were complaining about the harsh marking- as usual. I giggled, breathing in the usual familiarity that would disappear soon. We decided to go out to get dinner that night at the nearest shopping mall to our school. With that, we waved good bye and headed back home. 

As I was walking, Sophie ran up to me.

"Wait!"

"Yes Soph?"

"Uh. I need to tell you something. None of the others know. I need you to meet someone special in my life tomorrow. Will you please come with me? Please don't tell the others. Make up some excuse. Please?"

I stared at her, shocked. Sophie shared everything with me, but she would never leave the others out of something like this. Her soft brown eyes managed to melt my heart and I agreed, with a nod and a smile. 

That night, we met for dinner. All of us. Just like the good old times. We were chatting non stop about every little thing. No one ate that much, because they seemed to be really carried away by the chatting. After 2 hours of chatting, we decided to finish up the cold food and head some where else to hang out for a bit. As soon as dinner was over, Ariel asked, "So you have no friends besides us loser. What time do you want to hang out tomorrow?" 

Sophie glanced over at me nervously. 

I cleared my throat. "Um.. I have to leave by 4 P.M. guys. I've got a family dinner at my Aunt's house. Maybe in the morning?"

"Yes sure loser," replied Ariel.

I poked my tongue out at her, glancing over at Sophie, who looked amazingly relieved. 

Hmm what in the world. Sorry. Who in the world could it be, that finally stole Sophie's heart, I wondered.