Chapter 12

It felt like my whole world came crashing down on me. It broke my heart thinking of Percy and Valentina ever being together but I was nobody to stop them if they wanted to. After all, what right do I have to stop Percy from liking whoever he wants to. I was nothing in his life. I didn't matter anymore. With that, I set out to forget him, for real this time - and by real, I do mean real.

Life went on, I tried my best to treat Valentina normally but I just couldn't. Why was she so perfect? Life was so unfair sometimes. I tried not to feel jealous but theres only so much a girl could control. I was not mad at Valentina. Just sad. It wasn't her fault that Percy was hitting on her. She was being nice to him, that was all.

School was school, and surprisingly my mathematics grade started soaring up the scale, all thanks to Percy. It was the only thing that could take my mind off everything for a while and because of that, I improved drastically over the months. I still thought about Percy every now and then but pushed it to the back of my head. He was the last thing I needed to worry about, let alone think about. School term was almost ending and I did well enough for my finals to get promoted to Secondary 4.

Secondary 4 was the last year of secondary school, despite being the most exhausting year, it was the most entertaining one too. I had the best class ever and life didn't seem so bad anymore. We hung out on weekends to study together and had fun at the same time. I met up with my friends at the library every weekend to study for hours but surprisingly I enjoyed it. Maybe it was because I managed to distance myself from Percy and seemed to be coping well in the process too. Maybe he had a new girlfriend. Maybe he was still hitting on Valentina. I didn't know, and I wish I could say I didn't care but I did.

It was just another Saturday morning and I went to the library to meet up with Ariel and Sophie to study. After what seemed like forever, we packed our bags and decided to grab some lunch. I passed by the Starbucks on the way, failing to hide my smile which was slowly turning into the very opposite. Bittersweet memories indeed! We finally reached the small cafe, tucked away into the lonely corner of the mall. Upon arriving, I saw that very same pair of blue eyes that once captivated me. That very same smile that I once swooned over. That very same face that I could stare at all day long.

I saw Percy. He saw me too. He avoided my gaze and his effortless smile disappeared. His body started to get stiff. He stormed out of the shop, with a straight face. This guy, the very same one who once made me laugh for hours, who stood by my side when things were falling apart to wipe my tears has become the reason behind my biggest heartbreak. Life was so unpredictable. One day you're inseparable and the very next day, you can't face each other anymore, life was funny that way.

The guy I knew everything about is nothing more than a stranger to me, how ironic is that ? I was caught up in my thoughts when I realised Ariel and Sophie laughing at me.

"Hey you, Princess. Where have you drifted off to? Your food is here. We ordered for you because you seemed to be in daze, and that too for a really long time. Eat up, we have a long day of studying ahead." said Sophie. I nodded back and started eating. They hadn't noticed Percy. Only I did. How wonderful.

I ate my food in complete silence, oblivious to Sophie's and Ariel's usual weird discussions. This guy was worst than a monster. A monster only haunted you at night, but this guy haunted me all day long.