Chapter 19 : Unleash the beast

At the District of Quentin

Kevin's POV

"I want all you cadets on standby!" Shouts an instructor. "If we hadn't found the power, we would never have gotten out of that. Basically, we just got lucky. That's it." I say. "That sounds terrible. I'm so sorry. We volunteered to run supplies out to everyone, but the situation was so bad..." Says Kristen. "We even found some power we were gonna lend you guys, but then everything else went to hell." Says Yolonda. "So, you're saying...everyone who isn't here, now. Didn't... You know.." Says Kristen. "Yeah," I say grimly. "Wait, what about Chikara?" Asks Yolonda. "No, no. She's good. She made it in after us with the group John led." I say. "Hey, John!" Shouts Yolonda. "Where in the world is Chikara? She get hurt or what?" Asks Yolonda. John sits in silence, staring blankly. "Hey, talk to us." I say. "I'd tell you if I could." Says John. What is that supposed to mean?

Beside the dome (EMP regiment)

Charles Mitt's POV

A fresh recruit, Sam paces back and forth. "Sam, something wrong?" I ask. "Sorry, I'm just a little preoccupied. My friends are at the vanguard." He says. "Kid, as difficult as it may be, you've gotta stay focused." I say. "Is it true? What they say about you saving those kids five years ago, sir? They're cadets now, at the vanguard, right?" Asks Sam. "That's right." I say. "I'm really sorry sir. I don't know why I felt the need to bring it up." Says Sam. "They're good. Tough little dudes. Believe me, they know what it takes to survive. One of them's just about the best fighter I've ever seen. The other one's so stubborn, it could drive you insane. He's got loads of inner strength. And their friend's a certifiable genius. They'll be fine, no doubt in my mind." I say.

Kolbe's POV

"Cadets Kolbe's Langar, Chikara Misou, and Alex Herman! The three of you have committed an act of trison! Whether or not a swift execution is the result depends on you! With any attempt to move from where you now stand, and any act that deems the least bit suspicious, I'll signal the soldiers to fire! DO NOT TEST ME! Now answer carefully! Kolbe Langar...what exactly are you? Alien or human?" Asks the commander. What is that supposed to mean? And why are they all glaring at me like this? It's like they're looking at a monster. Oh god...is that what they think? "I'm sorry sir! I don't understand!" I shout. "This guy is playing innocent. Answer me, darn you! Don't try to stall. You'll be blown to hell before you can display your true form!" Says the commander. "What true form?" I ask. "You emerged from the carcass of a fallen alien before your comrades. A creature of unknown origin or ability invaded the supply depot. That creature transformed into you!" Shouts the commander. "I HAVE THE RIGHT TO ELIMINATE YOU! I'm sorry. Humanity's fate hangs in the balance. I can't waste any more time on you. Do you understand? MY CONSCIOUS WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!" Shouts the commander. A female soldier with dirty blonde hair and black glasses steps up. "Nor should it. As soldiers, they all know the price of their position. If they're this committed to defiance under death, they won't be persuaded. And as you said, it's just a waste of time." Says the soldier. "Sir, this may be our best chance! Should we fire?" Asks a soldier. "We'll use far less amo if he's in his human form." Says another soldier.

Chikara steps forward and draws her blades. "Excuse me! I wouldn't do that. Not while I'm standing here. Unless anyone feels up to the task. In that case...well I'm happy to demonstrate my technique. On you, and every last inch of your traitorous flesh." Says Chikara. A soldier whispers into the commander's ear.

No one's POV

"Sir, there's something you should know. She was assigned to the elites, fresh out of training. Equal to a hundred soldiers, easily. If we lost her, it would be quite the tragedy." Says the soldier.

Kolbe's POV

"Okay, can somebody please tell me what the heck is going on here!?" I ask. Alex gets up and rushes to Chikara's side. "Chikara, you can't take them all down! Even so, there's nowhere to run!" He shouts. "Whoever messes with Kolbe, messes with me. I'll take out the entire regiment if I have to! I don't give a crap what they try to throw at us." Says Chikara. "This isn't the only way! They're just scared, they don't know what's happening. Can't we just try to talk this out?" Asks Alex. Am I the only one who doesn't think I'm an alien? Why can't I remember how I got here, or why I feel so fatigued and frail? I'm too weak to even stand up. And I don't want to say the wrong thing. Is this how it ends for me? Killed by people? Are they insane? Why isn't anyone making any sense? The getting eaten...and saving Alex...that was all just a dream, right? But my sleeve...in my dream, it was ripped. Just like it is now. Am I really an alien? It's not possible. "ONE MORE TIME! ARE YOU A HUMAN OR AN ALIEN?! Asks the commander. Chikara and Alex look back at me, waiting for my response. Everyone stares me down. I don't know what to say. My life isn't the only one at stake here.

I know what to say..."I'M HUMAN!!!" I scream. There is a long moment of silence. The commander's face is based on terror. "So you say...I've got no choice then." Says the commander. He slowly raises his hand, signaling for the cannons to be fired. "Forgive me. When push comes to push, all of us are monsters." He says. The signal is given.

Chikara's POV

"Alex! Head for the wall, I've got Kolbe!" I shout. I lift up Kolbe and try to take him to the wall. "Wait, no!" He shouts. He breaks out of my grasp. My locket necklace falls to the ground and breaks open, into three parts. I grab it quickly, but long enough to see three numbers engraved in a part of it. 0-2-6. What does that mean?

Flashback

"Chikara! Are you okay? I'm so sorry about your family. Here, take this." Says Kolbe. He gives her a golden locket. "Thanks, Kolbe. I know gold has been rare lately, so this must've been hard for you to get your hands on." Says Chikara. "You're welcome. You can put a picture of your family in it, if you'd like." Said Kolbe. Chikara breaks into tears. "Thank you. But I don't think I'll be putting a picture of them in here." Says Chikara. "Why not?" Asks Kolbe. "Because, you're my family now." She said, almost smiling.

Kolbe's POV

I remember now...the locket. Could it have something to do with solving all this?

Flashback

"Kolbe, this is a locket I need you to safeguard. It was your grandmother's. It may seem small, but there is something very important about it. I need you to promise you'll keep this safe. Believe it or not, it's the key to regaining our humanity and bringing to justice the one who caused us all this misery...it will show you everything. You just have to look at the numbers. I wish I could tell you more, but I must go. I'll be back soon. Before then, I'll apologize in advance for what I'm about to do. You'll thank me for it later. Kolbe's father takes a syringe and injects it in Kolbe's arm. "Dad! What are you do- "There's no time to explain! You might forget all of this, but when you use this ability, remember. People's lives are riding on this. Riding on you. It's your responsibility! (End)

No one's POV

Chikara's life! Alex's life! Right now, everyone's life! The cannon fires. Hinges on Kolbe being able to control his power! A large, loud explosion rumbles the ground. A large cloud of thick, black smoke covers everything. A defeaning silence hangs in the air. "Did we get him?" Asks the commander. After the black smoke clears, a wave of shock passes through everyone who sees what's before them. "Dear, god..." Says the commander. Soldiers scream and run in panic as half an alien skeleton emerges from the smoke. Underneath it, stand Chikara, Kolbe and Alex, safe, for now.