Chapter 4 : Protecting Him

Kolbe's POV

Chikara and I sit at the dinner table in my house. My mom serves us bread and oatmeal. This is all we've been able to eat for the past two months. I don't know when things will get better, or if I should even expect them to. "When are they supposed to be addressing that stock and demand agricultural issue?" Asks my father to my mom. "I don't know, haven't you been watching the news? Everything we need to know is on there. The next alien attack, meteor or high magnitude earthquake. Things can just spring up on you now a days." She says. I poke at my bread and gaze out the window. "Mom, Chikara and I are going outside for a moment." I say. "Okay, be safe." She says. Wow, really? It's only on the porch out the front door. My mom is overprotective. "What is it, Kolbe?" Asks Chikara. "I'm just going to say it. I want to be like my father. I'm joining the E.M. training academy." I say. "No way...your mom...she's going to kill you." Says Chikara. "And that's why she's not going to find out." I say. "Why the sudden interest in the extraterrestrial military?" She asks. "It's not that sudden, really. Alex has been talking to me about Handeski. Showing me their books, sharing beliefs. It all makes sense now. What he's saying is true. I mean, look around you." I say. "So, wait a minute. Handeski prohibits all forms of violence. And joining the E.M. would be fighting the aliens." Says Chikara. "True. I never said I completely agreed with Handeski, but those aliens are trying to destroy us. They've killed millions of us, and I can't just sit here and let this go on any longer! I want to do something, rather than sit here and do the same thing everyday until I get killed. I want my life to have purpose." I say. "I'll be honest, I agree with you. And that's why I'm going with you." Says Chikara. "What? No, don't follow me. You need to stay safe." I say. "No, you need to stay safe. And I am making a vow to protect you and Alex. If it means I have to join the extraterrestrial military, so be it." Says Chikara.

Chikara is far stronger than Alex, of course and myself combined, but I don't want to be like a fragile baby she has to protect. I don't know if it's possible for me to prove to her that I can hold my own, but I have to try. "So what are we going to do about Alex?" Asks Chikara. "He's our best friend, but let's face it, he can't fight aliens." I say. "We can try to convince him to join us. But I doubt that's going to be successful. I don't want to even think of leaving him here." Says Chikara. "That's why I need to go alone! So you can stay here and protect Alex!" I shout. "I'm not leaving your side, no matter what. Regardless of whether you like it or not, I am always going to be here to protect you." Says Chikara. "Stop that! I don't need your protection. You should just leave me alone! Quit babying me, we're the same age, I'm not five!" I yell. I instantly regret it. I should have kept in mind that Chikara views me as her brother, one of the only family members she has left. Chikara bows her head and holds on to her locket, tears falling from her eyes. I know that I'm important to her, but I'm my own person. "What's going on out here?" Asks my mom. "Chikara, are you okay?" Asks my mom. Chikara quickly wipes her face and nods. "What were you both talking about?" She asks. "I believe it was something about the E.M." says my dad. I give him a sneer to let him know to zip it. He looks at me and holds up his left hand. "Kolbe and Chikara were discussing their plans to join the E.M. training academy." Says my dad. "Dad! Why did you say that?" I yell. "Kolbe, completely rid that thought out of your brain! You are not joining the E.M.! Your life is precious, and you're not going to become a suicidal maniac like your father!" She shouts. I run out of the house down the street. "Kolbe, get back here now!" She shouts in the distance.

Chikara's POV

"Peter, don't just let him get away! Scold him for crap's sake, he needs discipline!" Shouts Nellia, Kolbe's mom. "Scold him? You seriously think that'll stop him? Let him roam free, he'll be back. Then he'll learn his lesson." Says Peter, his dad. "Until then, I'm off. The E.M. needs me. I'll see you all when I get back." Says Peter. After he leaves, Nellia places her hands on my shoulders and kneels down. "Chikara, I want you to promise me something. If anything happens to me or Peter, will you protect Kolbe? I know you can, promise me that! Kolbe needs you. I need you to do this for me, can you?" She asks. She's so dead earnest. She really wants Kolbe safe, like I do. And now I'm ever more determined to keep him safe. "I can, and I will." I say confidently. "Thank you." She says smiling. I run off to where Kolbe went. I find him sitting on a curbside near an abandoned store with Alex. I sit beside Alex. "Hello, Chikara." Says Alex. "Hi, Alex. Did you tell him the news, Kolbe?" I ask. "Not yet. We just sat here a few seconds before you came." Says Kolbe. "It's probably off anyway, since my dad had to overhear us talking and tell mom." Says Kolbe. "Well, what is it?" Asks Alex. I look to Kolbe for approval. "Kolbe and I are joining the E.M. training academy..." I say. "Wow. What convinced you?" Asks Alex. "You. That stuff in your books, it's happening. All around us." Says Kolbe. "I don't know...I mean, I know it's happening but, if both of you are joining, then I'm staying here. I'm actually totally fine with that. I'm too weak to be of any use in the E.M." says Alex. "Wait a minute, is that the real reason why you didn't fight back those bullies? Was it because you felt you were to weak to fight?" Asks Kolbe. "Truthfully, yes." Says Alex. "Alex, you're our best friend, we don't want to leave you. But it's up to you..." I say.