Chapter 24 : Get Ready for it!

No one's POV

Soldiers of the EMP regiment begin to prepare their cannons for the offensive. The soldiers amongst the most capable of the EMP's line up before Commander Pinress. "Good, you're all here. You have one mission and one mission only. Protect Kolbe Langar. Any risks associated with this operation are yours to eliminate. Which is why I'm sure you'll surmise means out of everyone, your jobs are the worst. In fact, its safe to say that the fate of mankind will reflect your own." Says Pinress. "Sir, may I ask something?" Asks Rita. "Of course." Says Pinress. "Are you...certain about this? We're all putting our hopes in Langar- "Rita, don't." Says her comrade and fellow soldier, Dave. "I'm sorry, I must. I assume we all have our doubts." Says Rita. She wipes her glasses with her thumb and moves her bangs away from their rim. "Sir, please. With all due respect, the kid's abilities are of unknown quantity. We don't have the first idea what he will or won't do. If he can't lift the rock, our lives will have been lost for nothing." Says Melvin. His golden brown hair shimmers in the sunlight. He stands patiently, waiting for the response of Pinress.

"Yes, you make a good point. Perhaps we ought to just give ourselves to the aliens willingly. Personally, the idea makes me sick. I'm a sour loser. You'd think I'd be used to it. I've been stuck on the losing side since day one. I'm a stubborn old fool though, just once I'd like to know what victory feels like, even if I have to resort to extreme measures." Says Pinress. "Naturally sir, I'm sure we all feel the same way." Says Rita. "Then I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. The boy's abilities may be of unknown quantity, I'll give you that. But I'll take it over the unknown quantity of our options." Says Pinress. "Sir, it's time to get the decoy operation on its feet." Says Melvin. Pinress nods. "Rita Loanal, Dave Kendrick and Melvin Gates. You three are the EMP regiment's best and bravest. Win this for humanity." Says Pinress. "SIR!" Shout the three elite soldiers, while placing their fists on their hearts. "Excellent. Melvin, I'll assign you as squad leader." Says Pinress.

"Uh, but sir, is that- "I have no objections." Says Rita. "Neither do I." Says Dave. "Please sir, I'm not competent enough." Says Melvin. "Now, now. You do enjoy alcohol, don't you?" Asks Pinress. "Well, I gu- "Here's a nice vintage. Drink some before you begin the offensive." Says Pinress, tossing Melvin the flask. "Thank you, sir!" Says Melvin, before beginning to drink.

Kolbe's POV

"I'm sorry, Kolbe. I was talking out of my head. It wasn't my intention for you to be pulled into all this." Says Alex. "Stop apologizing. The fact is, you have a gift for strategy. And you know it! I believe in you, Alex." I say reassuringly. Chikara expresses a worried frown and be begins to interject. "Kolbe, I really think you should- "You're not coming with me! You're on the decoy squad. Period." I say. "No way! I'm not leaving you alone. I won't take another chance!" Says Chikara. "Knock it off!" I shout. I place my hand on her shoulder. "Get it through your head that I'm not your responsibility. You're not my mother." I say. Chikara sadly bows her head. "Misou! I want you on the squad providing Langar with back up. We'll need your skill. Come on, let's get this started!" Says Melvin. A small smile briefly appears on Chikara's face. That's the first time I've seen her smile in...years. She rushes off with Melvin, headed to the other elite soldiers who will protect me. I turn to face Alex. "Alex...don't die on me, okay?" I ask. Alex turns around. The blue in his eyes look as if they'd changed their tint. "Yeah, you either." He says.

Running to where the bolder is

"Let's get this straight, right now. Whatever you are, all I care about is you getting that rock in place. Can we count on you?" Asks Dave. "Yes sir. I won't let you down!" I say. Chikara catches up with us, and runs alongside me. "Are you absolutely sure you'll be alright to do this?" She asks. "I got it." I say. "Seriousl- "How many times do I have to say it? You just do your job and I'll do mine." I say. Rita runs up from behind us. "Look, now isn't the time to be playing house." Says Rita. I roll my eyes. "Come on, it isn't like that." I say. "I'm going to say what we all are thinking here. The fact that the fate of mankind depends on a little runt like you, doesn't make me hopeful." Says Dave. Chikara scowls at him.

"All of you, stop it, right now! We're about to be within range of the giant bolder." Says Melvin. I look to see the bolder, implanted in the ground, surrounded by crushed buildings and covered in debris and dirt. "I'm not seeing any aliens nearby. The decoy strategy must be doing the trick." Says Melvin.

Decoy Strategy
No one's POV

"Don't be a hero! Just focus on luring the aliens away from Kinnel! If you don't need to, don't engage!" Shouts a veteran/instructor. Alex and Allen hang atop the outside of the dome, trying to prevent the aliens from coming anywhere near Kinnel as best they can, without combat.

Alex's POV

While hanging from the top of this dome, I get a much more vivid view of what the outside world looks like than in my books. Of course, things are a lot more run down than the pictures I saw. There are more dead trees than alive ones, and the grass looks dry and dead. The sky is overcast and gray. Maybe it gets prettier the father you go out? Of course, that's where you'd find tons of groups of aliens. They like to roam around the empty planes. And then whenever they feel like it, I guess, they go back into space and live there. This information is from countless EMS books I've read. I can't believe I'll be one of them tomorrow. That is, if I can make it through today, alive. I look out into the distance to see what else I can find. It's been said that I can be very observant. My eyes scan the forest. I spot a figure, walking suspiciously behind trees. They are slick and fast, swiftly moving behind each tree hoping not to be seen. Who is that!? It appears to be someone wearing a long, dark green cloak. And underneath it...looks like a EMS cloak. Oh, it must be a scout member. But what are they doing all by themselves in full blown alien country? The person pauses behind a tree for a moment, and then runs quickly into the distance, even further out into the alien's territory. What on earth?! Who is that? What are they doing?