Chapter 49 : Threshold of Secrecy

Kristen's POV

I run into the spaceship, headed toward the medical center. There I find a closet with supplies inside - bandages, wipes, cloths, hand sanitizer, alcohol rub, needles, injections, stitches, ointments and creams. I take out a roll of bandages and two cloths. Then I grab some wipes and ointment just in case. It says: for major bruises, wounds and scrapes. I guess in the extraterrestrial military, small cuts and scrapes are unheard of. My mind starts to wander back to why I enlisted in the first place. Then I try and concentrate on what I'm doing now. Mending Yolanda's wound. I head out of the spaceship, with the supplies in hand. The cold air stings my face, the stars glimmering like silver gems. This entire time, I'd never gotten the full opportunity to really look at them. But I've got no time to waste right now. I run back into the trees, the supplies flying out of my hands. Dang it! I pick them up one by one and start up again.

I'm coming for you Yolonda. I hear footsteps... An alien? Please, no. Not now. It's 12 meters. It stands before me, eyeing me like I'm a gem myself. I stand before it, paralyzed with fear. I let out a loud, terrified scream. "AHHHHH!!!" Suddenly, another one comes. It kills the 12 meter that stood before me. Another alien like Kolbe? Could it be? "Kristen, it's me. Yolonda." It says. My eyes widen. Yolonda? An alien shifter!? Who isn't one? "It isn't safe here." She says. Realizing I'm still in shock, she lifts me up and takes me into the opposite direction. Is this really Yolonda? She's been keeping this from me all along. I guess I should tell her my secret, eventually. Soon.

Jessica's POV

We keep walking, but see a shadow nearby. Who is that? From behind a tree, Captain Liam stands. "What are you all doing out here?" He asks. Other veterans and the Commander emerge from behind him. "How did he get lose!?" Asks a veteran. They run up too him and pull his arms all the way back. "Did you all break him out? Which one of you did?" Asks a veteran. "None of us did. He escaped on his own, and we found him. We've found ourselves in a new predicament, though...which we expect him to help us with. Kolbe has been captured by the so called mutated alien." Says Alex. "Benny says he knows where the secret location is, and is willing to lead us there." I say. One of the veterans, Naudia, sighs. "We're sorry, to you we must look like a bunch of fools. Bet you're wondering why you ever joined the scout regiment, huh?" She says. "We should have thought of that, but should haves and would haves are irrelevant now. We've got a big problem here. Benny, Kolbe's fate is in your hands." Says Liam.

"So, Benny...Are you really willing to lead us to the location? Or should I force-escort you?" Asks Liam. "I'll spill. It's literally three minutes from where we're standing." He says. "Hold up, I have a proposition. I think the young scouts should be taken back to the spaceship. This mission has been too long of a trip in hell. They've been through it all...who knows how many of them died while we weren't with them. They all should rest up in the spaceship, and we'll take care of retrieving Kolbe from the secret location." Says Naudia. It's still and silent for a brief few seconds. "What do you all say? Are you ready to rest, or would you like to help us retrieve your friend?" Asks the Commander.