Chapter 36 : All the Risks

Chikara's POV

Terrah gets up from her seat and takes the seat beside me. "No one was sitting here, right?" She asks, smiling as her dimples dance. "No." I say. We sit in awkward silence for a few moments. "Are we cool?" Asks Terrah. "Dunno. I'm going to sleep. Good Night." I say. I walk over to my sleeping quarters and prop my pillow up. I cover myself and close my eyes.

Alex's POV

Terrah sits back by my side. "So...can you tell me anything about your friends?" She asks. "Kolbe is...quick tempered, as you saw. But he's so determined to destroy the aliens, it's almost mind boggling." I say. "He's my best friend. When we were younger, all we could talk about was going outside the dome. It was a dream we both shared. He always wanted freedom." I continue. Terrah nods. "Well, he doesn't seem to like me very much. Same with Chikara." Says Terrah. "Well, what did I expect? The situation must've seemed a lot worse to them than it actually was. There you were, gone for hours outside HQ with someone they'd never seen before." Says Terrah. "I'm sure they'll warm up to you." I say smiling. Terrah smiles back at me. "Alex, I've been meaning t-

"All lights out! It's 9:30, go to your sleeping quarters, now!" Shouts an EMS veteran. "Looks like we've got to go to sleep now. I'll see you tomorrow in class." I say, walking to my sleeping quarters.

Terrah's POV

"Wait, Alex!" I shout. He turns around. "I've been meaning to tell you...I mean, I...I don't know where the classroom we're supposed to meet up in is." I say. "Just follow Chikara. Or you can come to me if you see me." Says Alex. "Good night," He says walking off with that adorable, gentle smile. I blush as I head to the room Chikara went into. The lights are out and it's pitch black, so I see nothing. Should I turn on the light? I don't want to disturb anyone... "Uh, excuse me? Is there someplace I can sleep in here?" I ask. I hear frustrated sighs and grunts. "Sorry, we're full." Says Yolonda. I can't see her, or anything else but I can recognize her voice. Sarcastic, cynical and dull. "Chikara?" I ask. I hear light snoring. Gosh. Suddenly, I feel someone tugging at my hand. "Sorry everybody's being so rude. You can sleep with me in my bunk, if you don't mind. There really isn't more space besides that alternative." Says Kristen. A smile forms across my face, though no one can see it. She leads me to her bunk. I lay down on the rough mattress. She lies down beside me. "So, are you nervous for tomorrow?" She asks, whispering. "Haven't really thought about it." I say. "Go to sleep!" Says Yolonda. She throws down a pillow which lands on my face.

Alex's POV

On the bunk bed, I'm on the bottom bunk and Kolbe's on the top. "Hey Alex, you ready for tomorrow?" Asks Kolbe. "I guess. It's sort of an immense amount of pressure, having to guide our squad through the forest." I say. "I know you're up for it. You've got what it takes. I believe in you." Says Kolbe. "I'm afraid that it isn't so much about how much how many people believe in me...ultimately, it's up to whether or not I believe in myself." I say. "What are you getting at?" Asks Kolbe. "People like you and Terrah, always telling me how I- "Wait, I didn't know you both were this close." Says Kolbe. "Well, we aren't that close. She just...knows how to motivate me, I guess. Like you do." I say. "That's cool. I'm happy for you guys." Says Kolbe. I lean up from my bunk. "So you're saying...you'll give her a chance?" I ask. Kolbe sighs. "Fine. For you." He says. I smile. "Thanks! I wonder how her and Chikara will get along." I say. "Girls are different...it could go either way, really." Says Kolbe.

The Next Morning
Terrah's POV

My eyes strain open. I feel exhausted. And my back hurts like hell. I knew the bed was hard, but I didn't realize it was this hard. I get up and realize that I'm on the ground. The floor. The wooden floor. I look around the room. All the girls are gone. Am I late? The beds are made neatly. The sunlight shines through the curtain shades. I cringe at the brightness. I quickly rush to the bathroom to freshen up. I run out into the hallway and look around for the classroom. "Hello? Anyone?" I ask. Everything is still and empty.