Chapter 15 : I can hear his heart beat

Introduction

Alex's POV

In the year 3033 the colossal alien appeared again, desolating the barrier between us and them. Once more, mankind retreated in panic. Brave soul after brave soul perished...eaten alive. Kolbe himself fell prey to their hunger.

Chikara's POV

"I'LL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN! WHATEVER IT TAKES TO LIVE! AHHHHHH!!!!!" I scream.

Alex's POV

Just when things seemed the darkest for Chikara, out of nowhere came the unlikeliest of allies.

John's POV

I can't believe I'm really about to go through with this. I blame this all on you, Kolbe. "Hey, don't just stand there! We were taught not to leave out comrades! Unless you are a coward, then stay out of my way!" I shout. I follow Chikara.

Reynold's POV

"Never expected that from him." I say. Benny puts his hand on his head and sighs. "Hey, seriously! Come on you bunch of chickens!" Shouts Jessica. She follows Chikara. "They're nuts." Says Benny. "Dang it! Alright, let's go!" I shout. The soldiers scream a shout of terror, bravery and determination.

John's POV

"Hurry up! Follow Chikara! Avoid fighting if you can! Get to HQ before you run out of power!" I shout.

Kevin's POV

"Woah, Chikara's so bad! How is she going so fast?" I ask.

Alex's POV

"No, Chikara's using too much power!" I say. She could run out at any second. It doesn't matter how skilled she is, once we lose our mobility, we're as good as dead! She kills another alien while maneuvering at an unbelievably high speed. She needs to gain her composure. She's letting adrenaline distract her from grief. At any time, she could- Chikara's gear power runs out and she falls hard between two roofs. "Chikara!!!!!" I scream. I move to those roofs.

Kevin's POV

"John, take the rest of the team to HQ! I'm going after Alex!" I shout. John tries to argue. I tell him there are too many aliens around for this.

Chikara's POV

It happened. Why this again? I've lost my family. Why? Wasn't the first time enough? It's all over. Nothing left for them to take from me. Heavy footsteps approach me.

John's POV

It's no use. We're not getting anywhere near headquarters. Unless we don't mind dying. A frightened soldier who ran out of power is approached by two aliens. "Stay back!" He shouts, pointing his blades at them. "Josh, I'll save you!" Shouts his friend, Liam. Josh is shortly caught and eaten. I couldn't stop them...why didn't I stop them? If I'd kept myself together this never would have happened. Another soldier is killed. I wasn't meant to lead. I'm the last person who should've been given the ranks.