Chapter 5 : Bravery

Alex's POV

I sit in silence, allowing my mind to ponder over what to do. "Guys, I'll only hold you back. You should just go without me." I say sadly. "I know, you both have your reasons for wanting to kill the aliens in their territory. They've gone into ours and destroyed humanity. I understand that you seek vengeance. I know that you don't want to just stay here like a weakling, waiting to die. And that's why I think you should go. Let me, the weakling stay here. I won't be of any use in the military." I say. "Alex, that's not true! You're a genius! They could use you for so many other things, why not just try training and see how it goes?" Says Kolbe. I stop and think for a moment. Thump, thump thump. "What is that sound?" I ask out loud. I look to the direction I hear it coming from. Oh my god...

It's an alien. They're bigger in person, not like those seen in my books. This is terrifying. "Guys, run! Run!" Shouts Kolbe. Pedestrians run around like wild mice, trying to get as far away from the creature as possible. Then a group of them come down from the sky. Just before I run past a corner, I see a man getting lifted by one, screaming for life. I clench my hair in my fists, filled with horror. The alien devours the man, and chases after more people, trying to eat them. "Kolbe, Chikara!" I shout. They turn around and face me, trembling uncontrollably. "I'm going to get help!" I shout. "Alex, no it's too dangerous!" Shouts Chikara. "I'll be back!" I shout as I run past the corner.

Kolbe's POV

Mom. Mom! Our home! "Mom!" I shout. I run down the street, repeating to myself that my home will still be there looking as normal as ever, and that my mom will be fine. My mom will be fine. Mom will be fine. Mom will be f- I see the remnants of what once was my house. It had been crushed by an alien, likely. I search frantically for my mother. "Mom! Mom, where are you?! I'm here!" I shout. I hear a weak cough from under some rubble of the crushed roof. "Kolbe? Chikara?" She says, looking weak. "Mom, you're going to be fine, we'll get you out of here!" I shout. I try to get her out, but even with Chikara's help, she's stuck under the roof. "Okay, mom don't worry, Alex will be back with help, just hang in there." I say. "Kolbe, I love you. I will always love you. You have a good life in the E.M. with Chikara, okay? And try to get Alex to come with you all, he's a genius. Chikara, you stay a strong girl, alright? And don't forget to protect my son." She says. "Stop talking like that! This isn't over, we'll get you free!" Shouts Kolbe. "Sweetheart, I'm stuck. There's no getting out of here." She says. I hear a loud stomping sound in the distance. An alien approaches. "Go on! Get out of here! Go somewhere safe!" She shouts. A friend of my dad's, Charles Mitt comes and runs with Chikara and I to safety. "Wait, you can't just leave my mom there! Mom!!! Mom!!!" I shout. "I love you!" She shouts. The alien lifts her up with ease. It impales her, and then swallows her. Just like that, my mom is dead. They killed my mom. They killed my mom!!!! "You won't get away with this, you aliens!" I shout. Hot tears fall onto my cheeks.

At the railroad & safety shelter (Underground)
Chikara's POV

That was the first time I'd ever seen an alien, eating people. Of course I already knew that they killed us in that way, but I never witnessed it. It was terrifying. Especially being someone I knew who was devoured. At least now I know what we are dealing with, and I am ready to fight. I've never been more ready in my life. My grandad trained me for this. I'm ready for vengeance.

Meanwhile, Kolbe is still cursing at Charles for not saving his mother. "You could've gotten her out of there! She didn't have to...to die." He says. He finally calms down. "I'm sorry, Kolbe." Says Charles. "Your mother was a good woman. We can't always be with our loss loved ones, but we still have their memories." He says. "Here, have this. It's a picture of your mother from when we- well, er, um... it's just a picture of your mother." Says Charles. Kolbe rolls his eyes and puts the picture in his pocket. "Wow kid, it's amazing you can keep up that attitude even after what just happened six minutes ago." Says Charles. Alex. "Excuse me, Mr. Mitt, where is Alex?" I ask. "You mean that little blue eyed blonde kid with the Grey sweater?" He asks. "Yes, him." I say. "Oh, he got eaten by an alien." Says Charles. My stomach sinks...Alex... Is , dead? I look to Kolbe with an expression more grim than my usual sad expression. "Nahhh, I'm just kidding! He's over there." Says Charles. I scowl at him and kick him hard in the shin. "Too soon?" He asks weakly, struggling. "Alex! We thought you died on us!" I say rushing towards him. "No, I'm fine. Traumatized, but fine. I just saw at least four people get eaten...one of them, my grandad." He says. He holds his arms around his knees and rests his head down. Tears stain patches of his pants. "Alex, we have more bad news. Kolbe's mom died." I say. "One of those creatures caught her. That's why we need to fight them. We need to take back what's ours!" Shouts Kolbe.

Alex's POV

"Guys, after seeing my someone get eaten with my own eyes, while I was just standing there, watching, unable to do anything , it made me realize even more so how idiotic it would be to join the E.M. I can't just stand there while someone needs to be saved from an alien, right? That's what I had thought, up until my grandfather was devoured. And now, I can't stomach the idea of staying here without my best friends...I need to fight back! Perhaps not physically, but mentally, I can do it. I can do it! "That's the spirit, Alex. We're joining the E.M. as soon as possible." Says Chikara.