Chapter 29 : Langar's Trial

Commander Edwin's POV

"Commander Pinress. You're the CO of the EMP or garrison regiment. And I'm the commanding officer of the EMS regiment. Some may disapprove of us meeting here like this." I say. "You're as straight laced as your reputation. Nothing's wrong here. We just coincidentally bumped into each other on a morning stroll. Protocol doesn't prevent us from chatting given the circumstances. You are aware of the EMR's plan to take custody of Kolbe Langar, aren't you?" Says Pinress. "Yes, I received word yesterday. They plan to serve a deliberation." I say.

"The decision has been left to Zachary. Whether Langar goes with the scouts or in the hands of the Extraterrestrial military police." Says Pinress. "Zachary? You mean Premier Dallas Zachary?" I ask for confirmation. "The EMP, EMR and EMS. All three are under his jurisdiction. His decision will be based entirely on one factor. Is Kolbe's existence a benefit or handicap to our survival? If deemed detrimental, Langar will be executed without a thought. Right then and there, if need be. I for one do not want to see him die. However, many in the EMP regiment as I'm sad to say are fearful of his unique ability. My hands are tied. The most I can do is avoid agreeing with the EMP's. Do the odds favor you?" Asks Pinress.

"No they don't. And yet, we do have a proposal prepared. Whether it will work or not, it all depends on how the debate unfolds." I say. "So you mean...you're going to play it by ear?" Asks Pinress. "Playing things by ear is all we ever do." I say. Commander Pinress laughs rather loudly. "You aren't so uptight after all, as it seems. Good luck, Commander Edwin." He says as he walks off.

Chikara's POV

"A debate over Kolbe? What for?" I ask Alex. "I'm not really sure, but it might be about what they plan to do with him, and that means...they may not let him live." Says Alex. I stand up and slam my fist angrily on the table. Two officers bust in. "Cadets Chikara Misou and Alex Herman. Hop to! You're ordered to attend and act as witnesses at today's deliberation." Says one of the officers. "Sir!" Alex and I say.

Kolbe's POV

"Excuse me, I gotta pee." I tell one of the gaurds. "You just went." One of them says. "Then can I have a drink of water?" I ask. One gaurd eyes me with an aggravated expression. "No. Shut up, you're not getting anything from us." He says. "Darn monster." He says under his breath. Monster? Guess he isn't too far off the mark there. I can't blame him, I don't even know what's going on. At least these gaurds haven't tried to kill me yet. When I think back, Alex and Chikara were the only ones who didn't turn against me, no matter how terrifying I seemed. I wonder what they're doing now. And all the others...what will happen to them? I've been in here so long. What's been happening outside these bars? I'm not going to spend the rest of my life like this, am I?