Chapter 27: Did you see the news?

~Alex's POV~
"Come on just tell me where we're going!" I exclaim trying to remove the blindfold that the girls had placed over my eyes.

"No! And stop fiddling with the blindfold!" Emily yells removing my hands from the blindfold.

"We're here. You can take it off now." Grace laughs. I quickly remove the scarf they had used to blindfold me to see a run down little shack. My excitement diminishes.

"This is were you take us for a girls day?" I state unenthusiastically.

"What's wrong with it? I admit it's a bit of a fixer upper, but it's mine." Grace says with a hurt look on her face.

"I'm sorry Grace! It's just not what I was expecting." I say wrapping my arm around her.

"Okay can we start this shit already? It's frigging freezing out here!" Emily shouts moving towards the door. Grace opens the door and we make our way inside. The inside isn't anything like the outside. Violet wallpaper covers the walls, the dark wood floorboards give the place a sort of gothic vibe. On the far side of the wall is a huge book case filled with ancient looking books, directly opposite the bookcase is a large round wooden table surrounded by chairs. It's beautiful. I walk around the room, enthralled by the mystery of the place.

"Welcome to my house of tricks!" Grace exclaims.

"This is where the magic happens." Emily says sitting down at the table. I move nest to her pulling out a chair and sitting down.

"So, what do you want to do?" Emily says staring into my eyes.

"Do?" I ask puzzled.

"What kind of spell do you want to do?" Grace asks walking up to the bookcase. I stare down at the table, tracing the carvings with my fingers."

"I don't know, I've never really thought much about magic." I answer truthfully.

"It's simple. Think of something you've always wanted, but didn't have the courage or power to do." Grace says flicking through one of the larger books.

"Everything anyone could ever hope or dream for, is right here. I've dedicated myself to collecting every single magic text that was ever written, and I've read every single one of them." She says with a smile.

"So, you can do anything?" I ask quietly.

"Almost anything." Grace says closing her book and staring at me.

"Make them forget." I say sadly.

"Make who forget?" She asks in a concerned tone, walking towards me.

"I heard it. The news report. If they don't remember me, then they won't come looking for me." I say, a tear rolling down my cheek.

"Sweetie, I don't think that's such a good idea. There are other ways than this, we will figure something out. But you don't muddle in other peoples memories. It's dangerous." Grace says wiping the fallen tear away.

"I just don't want to hurt them anymore." I mumble holding back tears.

"They would only be hurt worse if they found you." Grace says pulling me in for a hug.

"This way we can look after you and your parents." Emily says joining the hug.

"I just don't understand why! Why do they want to hurt me!?" I yell, the tears cascading down my face. I look at the girls waiting for an answer. Emily sends Grace a worrying glance.

"You're special Alex. You were born that way." Grace says pulling away.

"How!? How the hell am I special!?" I yell jumping up.