Chapter 9: Fear

~Alex's POV~

* My heart is pounding against my chest. Fear spreading through my body, as a unknown creature chases me through the forest. My legs ache but I don't stop because I know if I do whatever it is will kill me. I run frantically trying to lose the creature, weaving in and out of trees. I can hear the creature getting closer. My breathing quickens, oh god I'm going to die! Where is Grace and the boys!? They said they would protect me. It feels like I have been running for hours, I don't know how much longer I can keep this up before I collapse. I'm just about to give up when out of the corner of my eyes I see a familiar clearing, the place where we found Grace. I decide to make a break for it. I turn sharply jumping over roots and ducking under branches making my way to the open space. As soon as I reach the clearing I collapse out of pure exhaustion hitting the ground face first. My face and my legs throb with pain. Whatever was chasing me before has seemed to vanish into thin air, what the hell is going on here? I rest for a few minutes before realizing I cant stay in the field forever, so I muster up all my strength and push my sore body off the ground and to my feet. I start walking through the field trying to remember how we got back to the house, when a strange voice came from behind me.

"Leaving so soon Alex?" It bellowed. I slowly turned around bringing me face to face with a strange man. He looks about 20, with short brown hair that looks rough and ragged.

"Who are you?" I say moving backwards away from him.

"Come on Alex, I thought you would have something more original than that." He states smirking.

"Oh I'm sorry! Who the fuck are you!" I state folding my hands across my chest.

"I thought you would have figured that out by now." He laughs.

"And I thought you would have told me by now." I say

"Fiery one you are!" He laughs.

"Only when people piss me off." I say putting my hands on my hips.

"The names Nathan." He states. I stand there racking my brain trying to remember where I have heard that name before then it hits me. The reason I'm here. The reason I'm in danger is right in front of me, Nathan.

"Oh my god. You, you're the one who wants to hurt me." I stutter moving backwards.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I want to make a deal with you." He states following me.

"What makes you think I would want to make a deal with you!" I shout in a tone of pure disgust.

"Because if you don't everyone will die." He states in a harsh tone grabbing my arm and pulling me towards him.

"W-What do you mean." I stutter.

"I mean you come to me willingly and your new friends won't suffer the same fate as poor mummy and daddy." He says smirking.

"You monster!" I shout as a single tear falls down my cheek.

"You couldn't save them, but you can save your friends."

"You wont be able to hurt them! They will kill you before you even get a chance!" I yell struggling to get out of his tight grip.

"Oh really. I wouldn't be so sure about that." He laughs letting go of my arm allowing me to go free. I start running, I'm almost make it out of the clearing but I trip and hit my head. I seriously need to stop tripping before I get some serious brain damage this is getting ridiculous. I slowly pick myslef up and turn my head to see what I tripped over. My heart stopped. What I tripped over was the body of my only friend and comfort in the world right now, Grace. She lays in a pool of her own blood the life has dissapeared from her eyes, her once vibrant red hair now turned white. I drag myself towards her lifeless body.