Chapter 15

Wolfpaw opened her eyes to warm sunlight.
Yes! We can play with Angelkit now!
Standing up, Wolfpaw stretched her legs and gaped her jaws into a yawn.
Nosing Frostpaws flank, Wolfpaw whispered into her ear, "C'mon, it's time to play with Angelkit." Frostpaws ears twitched and she cracked open her eyes.
"Why? What for?" she asked. Wolfpaw laughed.
"Don't you remember mouse-brain? It was your idea!" Wolfpaw toyed with her littermate.
"Oh. . . oh yeah! Let's go ask if we can!" Frostpaw meowed.
What's with her and asking?
"Alright, I guess so" Wolfpaw mewed reluctantly and padded out of the medicine den. Frostpaw stepped out and sniffed the air. She smiled and padded up to Dapplepelt.
"Can Wolfpaw and I play with Angelkit for a while and show her around camp?" Frostpaw asked her. Dapplepelt nodded and Frostpaw happily bounced back to Wolfpaw.
"Did you hear that! We-" Wolfpaw stopped her halfway through her sentence.
"Yes, I heard. Now let's go!" she yowled and bounded towards the nursery. When Frostpaw stepped into the nursery, Wolfpaw looked around the den to spot Leafpelt. her swollen belly easily gave her away. she looked up at there arrival.
"What can I do for you girls?" she asked getting into a sitting position.
"We would like to show Angelkit around camp and kind of, play with her" Frostpaw mewed happily.
Leafpelt smiled. turning round, she called, "Angelkit! come here!" A cream-colored she-kit padded out of the dark.
"What for? I was in the middle of a game of moss-ball with Icekit, Sootkit and Sunkit! What is it-" she stopped in the middle of her sentence and looked the apprentices up and down. "Who are they?" she asked Leafpelt.
"This is Frostpaw and Wolfpaw. there apprentices training to be warriors. they would like to show you around camp today" Leafpelt introduced. Angelkit looked at her.
"Really?" she looked back at Wolfpaw and Frostpaw again. "That sounds like fun!" she said excitedly.
"Well what are you waiting for? Go have fun!" Leafpelt cheered. Angelkit hopped into the air in excitement then bounded out of the nursery in a flurry, her one white ear and cream ear bobbing up and down as she ran. Frostpaw looked at Wolfpaw and dashed after the kit. Wolfpaw sighed happily and followed. Angelkit was running circles around Frostpaw by the time Wolfpaw had gotten to them.
"What are we gonna do first? See the camp? Play a game? Should we invite the other kits-?" Angelkit was throwing questions at Frostpaw every heartbeat. Frostpaws face was drooping into a frown as she listened to Angelkits never ending questions. Wolfpaw padded up to her side.
Meowing, she said, "Slow down Angelkit, your hurting poor Frostpaws head."
"Sorry Frostpaw" Angelkit apologized. Frostpaw smiled down at her.
"It's alright Angelkit. Now, what would you like to so first?" she asked the cream kit. Angelkit narrowed her eyes in thought. Her eyes lit up. "How about we see the camp?" she suggested. Wolfpaw looked at Frostpaw. Frostpaw smiled.
Wolfpaw looked back at Angelkit. "Let's do it!" she mewed. Angelkits eyes sparkled as she looked intently at the apprentices. Wolfpaw started towards the leaders den with the other two by her side.
"This is Ashstars den" Wolfpaw explained when they had stopped a fox-length away from the entrance.
"It's the leaders den" Frostpaw added. Angelkit dipped her head in understanding. "You know who Ashstar is right?" Frostpaw asked.
"Is she the one who got mad at me?" Angelkit whispered.
"What did her pelt look like?" Wolfpaw questioned.
"Was it orange? And a tabby?" Angelkit guessed.
Frostpaw laughed. "No, that's Flarestorm. She's got a bit of a temper" she explained.
Angelkit nodded. "Then was she the black cat with amber eyes?" Angelkit guessed again.
"Yes, that's her." Wolfpaw mewed. Angelkit nodded happily as she had guessed correctly.
"Alright, onto the next den" Wolfpaw mewed and held her tail over her back as she padded to the warriors den. The others followed in her wake, trudging through the white snow. Wolfpaw stopped at the entrance.
"And this is the warriors den. It's what the apprentices train to become" Wolfpaw explained as Angelkit and Frostpaw padded up.
"So that's why they have apprentices. What do the warriors do?" Angelkit asked.
"They protect and hunt for the clan. When the other clan fights invades, we fight back." Frostpaw cut in.
"And warriors that train apprentices bring them into battle as well." Wolfpaw added.
"So, we have warriors to protect the clan and apprentices to become warriors?" Angelkit guessed. Wolfpaw nodded. Angelkit smiled.
"How old are you, Angelkit?" Frostpaw asked.
"Five months" she replied.
"Months?" Wolfpaw questioned.
"You know," Angelkit went on. "Each month has about thirty sun ups and sun downs."
"Oh, you mean a moon." Frostpaw meowed with new found understanding. "That means you'll become an apprentice in five moons."
"Really?" Angelkits eyes gleamed. "Do I get to pick my own mentor?"
"No, not exactly. Ashstar does." Wolfpaw mewed with a smile. Angelkits ears dropped in disappointment.
"Hey, it's okay. Let's see the rest of camp." Wolfpaw said quickly changing the subject, and bounded to the apprentices den.
"This is the apprentices den. It's where you sleep after you become an apprentice" Wolfpaw said to Angelkit. The kit looked at her.
"Where do you sleep?" she asked.
"In there" Frostpaw meowed suddenly, holding her tail so it was right in front of her and Wolfpaws nests. Angelkit nodded as knowledge flooded into her brain, like a river. Wolfpaw looked down at her and licked her head encouragingly. Angelkit looked up at her, her blue eyes worried.
"Don't worry if you can't remember everything the first day in camp. I was the same" Wolfpaw whispered. Angelkit nodded her thanks and padded off to the medicine den. Wolfpaw smiled and padded after.
"What den is this?" Angelkit asked, her eyes glittering.
"The medicine cat den" Frostpaw answered.
"What do they do?" she asked, turning to look at Frostpaw.
"Help the sick and the wounded." Frostpaw mewed. "They also share tongues with StarClan."
"What's StarClan?" Angelkit asked intently. Frostpaw looked at Wolfpaw for help.
She stepped up to Frostpaws side and said, "StarClan is the clan of heavenly warriors who have passed on. You can see them in Silverpelt." Angelkit looked up at the blue sky.
"You mean the stars?" she asked. Wolfpaw nodded.
"But there just dead cats!" Angelkit exclaimed suddenly. Wolfpaw was shocked at her outburst. She knew Angelkit was new to the clan and little, but she should never insult there ancestors. Wolfpaw looked awkwardly at the innocent kit. Her eyes were a sky blue, staring deeply into Wolfpaws in wonder. Woflpaw felt as if she was staring into a lake, with its endless bottom going down and down.
"Yes, and they're our ancestors" she said after a long pause of silence. " You need to believe in them. They gave Ashstar her nine lives and-" Wolfpaw was cut off by Angelkit gasping.
"She has nine lives?" she said unbelievably. Frostpaw nodded.
"Yes, and they help her. Each life is unique in its own way" Woflaw explained. Angelkits eyes were bright as she learned new knowledge and followed Wolfpaw as they moved on to the nursery.
"And finally, the nursery. You already know what this is for. Well, that's the camp, what else do you want to do?" Frostpaw asked. Angelkit looked at her. Her eyes cleared.
"You could teach me how to do the hunting crouch!" she yowled. Wolfpaw swallowed.
"I-" Frostpaw cut her off.
"Sure, let's do it!" Angelkit bubbled. Wolfpaw breathed out in relief.
Few.
"Alright! Let's go!" Frostpaw jeered and padded closer to the nursery. Wolfpaw followed as her name was called.
Mosstripe!
"Come here! It's time I took you out on your first hunting patrol!" Mosstripe yowled, padding into Wolfpaws view. Wolfpaw looked back at Frostpaw and Anglekit and gave them an apologetic look. They both nodded approvingly and Wolfpaw turned back to Mosstripe.
"Okay! I'm coming!" Wolfpaws heart beat quickly as she romped after her mentor, excitement brewing inside her, trudging through the wet snow.