Chapter 21

Wolfpaw sniffed around the warming sandy beach and sneezed when sand flew up her nose. It had been two moons and new-leaf was coming fast. Wolfpaw was searching around to figure out yet again who had saved her. Every time she had the chance, Wolfpaw would search, sniff and call out. But no one answered her calls, she smelled no new scents and saw nothing that could have possibly saved her. The image if the otter kept coming into her head though.
Could she have saved us?
Giving up he search on shore, Wolfpaw padded into the woods next to it. Smells wafted through her nose, and Wolfpaw felt dazed when she smelt a prey scent. They had had a good leaf-bare and prey was slowly replenishing. Life was all around her, making her almost fall over from the tantalizing scents. Since the first hunting practice Wolfpaw had done with Mosstripe, she had greatly improved. She would block out the tiny voices and pounce. She caught everything easily right away. Her fighting skills were improving as well. She could pick up what Mosstripe was going to do before she did it and she ended pinning her every time. She was getting so close to becoming a warrior and so was Frostpaw. They were almost evenly matched in both fighting and hunting. Wolfpaw really hoped she would become a warrior-
"Hello Many Tongue, what brings you by?" growled an unforgettable voice. Wolfpaw turned and looked the fox she had met up and down.
"Looks like you haven't changed a bit," she countered. "Still as ragged and scarred as ever."
"Watch. Your. Tongue." he spat.
"Make me. And why should I have a name when I don't even know yours? Speak up foxy." Wolfpaw mewed casually. The fox looked taken aback then snickered.

 The fox looked taken aback then snickered

"It's Crackling Stone." he growled. "And I bet Many Tongue isn't even your real name either, is it?"
"It's Wolfpaw," she scowled reluctantly. Crackling Stone chortled. "Why are you here anyway? Out to kill me? Get revenge?"
Crackling Stone smiled a malicious smile. "I couldn't of said it better myself." Wolfpaw swallowed and took a step back. Crackling Stone chuckled and started towards her. Wolfpaw realized she'd just walked into a trap and turned tail. But Crackling Stone was faster. He caught her tail before she could take a single step.
"Not so smart now, are you?" he whispered in her ear. He then grasped her petrified body into his muzzle and threw her towards the sky, making her air born. Wolfpaw's breath was taken away as Crackling Stone got smaller and smaller. Then gravity retook her in its grasp and she fell. Falling faster and faster, a paw came up and slapped her away from Crackling Stone, slamming her into a tree trunk. Pain erupted through two of her legs, one hind and one of her forepaws. She gasped for breath as it was knocked out of her and she tried to stand as she realized the danger she was still in. Crackling Stones breath echoed in her ears as her legs crumpled to the ground as she collapsed.
"You'll make a great addition to my pile of carcasses outside my den."
How twisted is this fox?
Wolfpaw strained to stand up. Her injured legs screamed in protest as she gained leverage. She began to limp away, slowly gaining speed. Crackling Stone was on her tail instantly, snapping at her heels. She screamed as real fear took over her body, swamping her emotions. She couldn't think, couldn't stop. This fox was going to kill her. Pure terror surged through her and adrenaline began to pump through her and she burst forward in a flash of speed. Crackling Stone was slowing and Wolfpaw didn't know why. All she knew is that she was escaping him, his deathly claws fresh on her mind.
For what seemed like moons she pounded through the bare trees, having no idea where she was going. Her legs began to hurt more and more and she started to slow. Then she saw fresh sunlight through the trees.
I'm almost out!
She felt a spark of hope and burst through the trees.
Wolfpaws mind didn't register what was happening right away. Wolfpaw looked back in panic as she ran right off of a recognized cliff.
My dream!
Then realization kicked in. Water was beneath her, threatening to swallow her up. Wolfpaw glanced down and prepared herself. She sucked in a breath as she hit the water.
Bubbles clouded around Wolfpaw as she splashed into the lakes waves. She opened her eyes and looked towards the surface. It was a cat-length away, then a fox-length. Wolfpaw stretched her muscles and swam towards the surface. Pain scored through her legs. Her legs. Wolfpaw looked down at her two hurt legs, each sticking out at angles. She tried moving them but felt another burst of pain. She couldn't swim. Wolfpaw panicked, swimming as best she could with her two working legs but it made no difference. She was going to die, actually going to die. No one was going to save her. She was never going to have a mate, become a warrior, nothing. Wolfpaw slowly closed her eyes and then snapped them back open as teeth chomped onto her scruff. She was being pulled down, by something. Wolfpaw blinked then air escape through her lungs. Then she fell unconscious.