Chapter 28

Frostpaw stared through the bushes at Massacre dragging two unconscious cats. Where was he taking Wolfpaw and Brownpaw?
"C'mon, they're getting out of sight, let's go!" Briarpaw hissed and stalked away. Frostpaw jumped up and followed. As Frostpaw crouched down again, Wolfpaw opened her eyes. She looked around wildly then noticed Brownpaw laying on her back.
"She's awake! C'mon let's keep going!" Frostpaw urged and stood up. Briarpaw followed and tailed after Frostpaw as they stealthily crawled in pursuit of their enemy. Suddenly, Massacre dropped the duo and bounded away, then came running back and starting dragging them faster. Briarpaw starting padding their way and Frostpaw starting running, staying her distance. Briarpaw stayed by her side.
"So, what do you think he's doing with them?" he asked Frostpaw.
"I don't know, but hopefully we can get there before does whatever it is he's doing." Frostpaw replied. Briarpaw bidded and took longer strides. Finally they reached Massacre, Wolfpaw and Brownpaw, all sitting atop a cliff. Frostpaw gasped.
"Help! Help!" Wolfpaw yowled. Massacre slapped a gray paw over her mouth.
"Shut up!" he snarled.
"We have to go! Now!" Frostpaw exclaimed. Briarpaw shushed her. She looked up and felt her heart stop.
"I guess no ones going to come to your rescue after all. Well, see you around lovebirds." Massacre chided. Frostpaw heard Briarpaw growl in his throat. Massacre smiled and kicked the boulders over the edge then stalked away. Wolfpaw and Brownpaw screamed as they rolled over the edge and splashed into the waves. Briarpaw gasped.
"What do we do?" Frostpaw gasped. Briarpaw looked at her. She returned the look with extra sorrow. He licked her cheek then turned and bounded away, leapt off the cliff, and splashed into the waves. Frostpaw ran out into the open and looked down into the swirling waters, horrorstruck.
"What do I do? What do I do!" Frostpaw exclaimed. "I need to do something!" She looked around and started to pace.
What can I do? I can't swim! But they need an extra paw . . .
Frostpaw looked down into the water. She couldn't see Wolfpaw or Brownpaw, or even Briarpaw. Frostpaw gulped and took a few steps back. She closed her eyes and took a deep refreshing breath.
I can do this.
Frostpaw opened her eyes, took two long strides and leapt off the cliff face, taking a long breath as she hit the waves. Frostpaw cracked open her eyes and looked down. Briarpaw was stroking down towards two dark dots. Frostpaw squinted uncomfortably and grit her teeth. They were deep, and how would she get down to them? Or Briarpaw? Frostpaw looked up. The surface wasn't far away so she paddled and stroked but she wasn't moving; up or down. Frostpaw grunted and looked down at Briarpaw and tried her best to imitate.
C'mon! It's no that hard! Frostpaw screamed at herself. Do what Briarpaws doing! Swim!
Frostpaw kicked and swung, and to her amazement, rose to the surface. She gasped and sputtered as she sat, treading water on the surface.
I've got to help them!
Frostpaw looked down at Briarpaw hopelessly, then got an idea.

~

Wolfpaw sucked in a great breath - as did Brownpaw - as they collided with the waves. Right away, the weight of the boulders pulled the duo down towards the ground. Wolfpaw and Brownpaw began to struggle and fight against the white vines ensnaring their legs but no matter how hard they tried, they wouldn't unloose. Wolfpaw looked over at Brownpaw to see him sinking his teeth into the white vine, shaking it as hard as he could. Wolfpaw began chewing on her rope as well, shearing her teeth against it to snap apart. It did little good, these were thick ropes. Even if they did escape, they wouldn't make it to the surface in time. Wolfpaw closed her eyes as hopelessness flooded over her. She placed a paw onto Brownpaws shoulder. He stopped and glanced at her. Wolfpaw leaned close and gave him a lick on the cheek. He blinked at her sadly as he realized what she was doing. Then his eyes widened in surprise. Wolfpaw turned her head to look and her heart stopped.
Sinking down towards them, clinging onto a boulder, was none other then Briarpaw! He'd come to save Wolfpaw and Brownpaw! But what was even more shocking was that Frostpaw was there too! Once the pair reached them, they began snapping at the rope as well. With a sudden halt, the four stopped and rested at the bottom of the lake. Wolfpaw glanced at Frostpaw as she worked. Her blue eyes were aflame with determination. Wolfpaw was filled with pride. Next to her, Briarpaw snapped Brownpaws prison-bound paws. He looked at his brown forearms thoughtfully then started helping with Wolfpaws. Finally, hers came away right as Brownpaw started to struggle, his eyes darting around fearfully.
Oh no! He's running out of breath!
Wolfpaw wrapped her forearms around Brownpaws neck comfortingly as she realized her breath was shortening as well. Briarpaw began to paddle upward with Brownpaw and Wolfpaw in tow. To Wolfpaws amazement, Frostpaw gripped Wolfpaws scruff and helped Briarpaw carry the combined weight. Frostpaw noticed Wolfpaw staring and smiled. Wolfpaw looked back at Brownpaw. He was looking at her intently. Wolfpaw arched an eyebrow. He leaned close to her muzzle and licked her nose. Wolfpaw smiled weakly. Then Brownpaws eyes drooped.
No! Hold on!
Wolfpaw desperately hugged him closer as he let the rest of remaining breath out through his mouth. Wolfpaw looked up toward the surface. It didn't seem to be getting any closer, and it was getting extremely blurry. Wolfpaw felt her eyes droop and her cheeks burst. She watched as air bubbles escaped up to the surface , water flooding into her lungs. She sucked in more water, desperate for air, then vaguely noticed letting go of Brownpaw as she stared up at the surface indistinctly . . .

~

Frostpaw yanked on Wolfpaws black pelt as they neared the surface.
C'mon c'mon! I can't hold my breath for much longer.
Briarpaw nudged Frostpaw. She looked at him questioningly. He pointed a forepaw down and Frostpaw followed to see Wolfpaw staring up at the surface vaguely, her mouth open.
Oh no!
Frostpaw made an uncomfortable noise and pushed on. Briarpaw moved closer to Frostpaw and licked her cheek consistently. She appreciated the gesture. Frostpaws lungs were beginning to burn but she fought the urge to suck in. The surface was about a tree-length away.
I can do this.
Frostpaw swam harder, Briarpaw matching her move for move. Frostpaw looked at admittedly. The surface was so close, a fox-length away. Frostpaw looked at Briarpaw; his eyes were drooping. Frostpaw rammed into him and pushed him upwards. He grunted in complaint. Frostpaw rolled her eyes and kept stroking. Would they make it in time? She hoped so, her breath was nearly spent. Then they broke the surface. Frostpaw gasped greatly and sputtered as she sat treading water. Then the realization hit, she'd dropped Wolfpaw when she reached the surface! Taking a deep breath, Frostpaw plunged back into the water, searching for Wolfpaw. Frostpaw grit her teeth. Where was she? Right as Frostpaw was about to accept defeat, she saw her: laying on a ledge. Frostpaw stroked down to her and grasped Wolfpaws scruff. As she turned to swim back up to shore, Briarpaw was thrown into the water. He was still carrying Brownpaw and his eyes were closed. As he cracked them open, he spotted Frostpaw. Swiping his paws from side to side, he swam down to her. He pointed to the surface with scared eyes. Frostpaw didn't understand. Using a paw, Briarpaw closed Wolfpaws mouth and stared at Frostpaw.
"Hey! Come out of the water!" came a sharp, muffled voice. "I saw you carrying my clanmate, your in our territory!" Frostpaw recognized that voice. Sparkclaw had spotted Briarpaw!
Briarpaw glanced at Frostpaw. His eyes suddenly widened. Frostpaw gave a confused face then felt something hard strike her back, causing her to let out some of her breath. Frostpaw quickly slapped a paw over her mouth and looked at Briarpaw. He began to swim away from Sparkclaw and Frostpaw followed confusedly. Once they were well out of his view, Briarpaw rose for the surface.
"Sparkclaw saw me carrying Brownpaw. We need to get out of here, now!" Briarpaw worried. "They need help, what about your medicine cats, can they help them?"
"They're too far gone," Frostpaw said. "But I know someone who can."