Chapter 18- The Big Day

Sammi was helping me put on my fully altered dress, and I ran my hand over my almost-fully-grown stomach. I smiled, small happy tears in my eyes. Then I looked out the window, staring at the sunny mid-April afternoon. Everything was perfect: my old house was sold, Ashley and I were living together, and almost everything was ready for the twins.

I sucked in a gasp as Sammi tightened my dress. "Not that tight, Sammi. I still need to breathe."

"Sorry," she said with a small laugh, then loosened the ribbon and tied a bow. I looked in the mirror as Sammi said, "You look beautiful, Zoe."

I let a happy tear fall. "Is this what getting married feels like?"

She smiled at me. "It's one of the best days of your life."

I wiped my eyes and said, "I can tell." Then I gave Sammi a hug. "Thanks so much, Sammi. All of this means a lot to me, and I love that you're helping me with most of it." I couldn't stop myself and let another tear fall.

"Aww, you're welcome, Zoe. And stop crying! You'll ruin your makeup!" She gave me a tissue, and I dried my eyes as she made sure my makeup looked okay. She surveyed me one last time, then said, "Oh wait! I forgot something!" She picked up a black veil and positioned it on my head. "There. Now you're a Black Veil Bride."

About an hour later

I took a deep breath. 'I can do this?' I thought to myself. Sighing, I waited for my turn to walk out.

Soon the music began to play; "Overture" to be exact. The door opened and everyone stood as I walked out down the aisle toward Ashley. Oh, how he look stunning. His hair was perfect, and his suit was just as perfect. I was speechless. I looked over at my bridesmaids in their beautiful dresses then over at the rest of BVB in there tuxes. I got to the alter and handed my maid of honor, Sammi, my bouquet and then turned to face Ashley. He smiled and took my hands in his and then the preacher began to speak.

The preacher said his lines and then asked if Ashley and I had written our vows. We both nodded and Ashley took out the little folded paper in his jacket pocket. He cleared his throat and spoke. "Zoe Natalie Walker, from the day we met I couldn't imagine myself with any other person. You make me so happy, you're the reason I wake up in the morning and the reason I close my eyes at night. You're perfect and beautiful beyond words, I couldn't ask for anything more from you. I love you Zoe." He finished and we both had tears in our eyes. He then smiled and handed the paper to Andy who was standing behind him.

The preacher then looked at me and I nodded and turned to Sammi and she handed me the vows I wrote for Ashley. Looking Ashley in the eyes with a smile I began, holding back tears. "Ashley Purdy, there's a lot of people out there you could choose from, and you chose me. Everyday I thank you for that. I couldn't imagine a life without you. You make my day. When ever I need you, you come running. You're there for my ups and my downs. I am forever thankful for you. Ashley, I love you, more than I could ever scream." I smiled at Ashley and then turned and handed Sammi back the paper and Ashley held my hands again.

The preacher then spoke, "Is there anyone in this room that thinks that these two should not be wed? Speak now or forever old your peace." There was a pause and he continued again. "Ashley, do you take Zoe as your lawfully wedded wife?"

Ashley nodded and said, "I do."

The preacher then turned to me and said "Zoe, do you take Ashley as your lawfully wedded husband?"

I smiled and said, "I do."

"By the power vested in me and in the state of California, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

Ashley pulled back my black veil, grabbed me and dipped me down into a kiss; it was full of passion, warmth, and love. Standing back up he said, "I love you." I smiled and said it back to him. He then grabbed my hand and led us down the aisle towards the car.

I sat down in the car, holding Ashley's hand. I felt a hard kick at my stomach, and let out a yelp.

"Is something wrong?" Ashley asked me.

"The babies are just kicking," I said. "I'm fine, really."

"Okay, love." He kissed the side of my head.

A few minutes later, I let out a small sigh as I felt a huge physical relief. Almost like a leak. A leak? My eyes widened, and I looked at Ashley. "Ash, I think my water broke."

"What?" he asked.

"I think my water broke," I repeated.

"Oh my..." he stopped in the middle of his sentence. I lifted my hips up off the seat, then dropped my jaw as I saw the wet spot on the seat. "Um, driver, head to the nearest hospital," Ashley told the chauffeur.

I quickened my breath as I felt a contraction. I screamed out. "Ashley!"

He held out his hand and I squeezed it, breathing hard. "Shh, honey, calm down.. We'll be at the hospital soon."