Bargeman

The bargeman, however skeptical, put away his bow. This company seemed to be of no threat to him. He was a rough looking man, most likely due to a life of hard labor. Returning to his barge, he gathered some rope and began rounding up the barrels. "What makes you think I would help you?" He asked, whilst preparing his barge for the small journey home.

"Those boots have seen better days." Balin responded. "As has that coat. No doubt, you've got some hungry mouths to feed." He chuckled. "How many bairns?"

"A boy and two girls." The man said.

"And your wife, I imagine, she's a beauty." Balin smiled.

"Aye." The bargeman sighed. "She was." The sadness that filled his eyes and voice struck something in Nevaeh. She pitied the man, indeed. But she was not one to feel empathy with others. Sometimes she did. Most times she didn't. But something about this man, told her that he was good, genuinely good, despite his mysterious exterior.

"I'm sorry." Balin bowed his head. "I didn't mean to-"

"Oh, come on, come on." Dwalin interjected, quite rudely. "Enough with the niceties." Nevaeh shot daggers at him.

"What's your hurry?" The bargeman asked.

"What's it to you?" Dwalin grumbled. Nevaeh rolled her eyes. They were trying to hitch a ride with this man. He did deserve some answers, even if they were lies and being impertinent would get them nowhere.

"I would like to know who you are and what you are dong in these lands." He said in an accusing tone.

"We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills." Balin lied.

"Simple merchants, you say?" The man raised his brow and smirked, picking up a barrel and moving it onto the barge.

Thorin stepped forward. "We need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?"

The man dropped the barrel and ran his fingers across the split in the wood, clearly a wound from an arrow. "I know where these barrels came from." He said simply.

"What of it?" Thorin asked.

"I do not know what business you had with the Elves, but I don't think it ended well." He smirked, carrying on with his work on the barge. "No one enters Laketown but by leave of the Master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He would see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil." He tossed a rope to Balin.

"Offer him more." Thorin urged quietly.

Balin grunted impatiently. "I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen."

"Aye." The bargeman nodded. "But for that, you would need a smuggler."

"For which we would pay. Double." Balin pressed for a deal. With that, the Dwarves had caught his attention. With extra coin, he could rest easy knowing his little family would be well tended to. He agreed to get them into town.

The company filed on to the barge rather noisily. Nevaeh's soft footsteps went unnoticed by all. She approached the man as he finished tying up a line. She studied his face. He was a handsome fellow, but there was a permanent sorrow in his eyes. He hadn't realized her presence at first, in fact he had not noticed the woman at all amongst the Dwarves. He was a bit taken aback by her. She was very beautiful, but it was her eyes that held his gaze. "What is your name, bargeman?" She asked softly.

"My name is Bard." He answered without a hitch.

"Bard." She tested it out and smiled. "Well, Bard, I know this company is a bit odd and I know you do not trust us, to which I cannot fault you at all, but, just know, that we mean you no harm. We mean no harm to anyone who would do no harm to us. We are deeply thankful for your help, even if my less civilized companions do not show it." He gave a gracious nod. She joined her companions as they all settled into the boat.