Cold

The company trekked across lush green terrain until the sun began to fall low on the horizon. Their leader led them to a clearing near to a cliff's edge. They relieved the ponies and fed and watered them, then they began making themselves comfortable and prepared themselves to slumber on the hard ground; an act known all too well by the Dwarves. The fire-haired Dwarf, Gloin, along with the youngest, soft spoken Dwarf called Ori struck a fire. The largest Dwarf, Bombur, prepared a fair-tasting stew for everyone. Bofur and Nori began passing around the bowls to the others. Bofur had noticed that Nevaeh was sat on a large rock near the edge of the cliff, knees to her chest with her arms encircling them. She hadn't come to collect her meal. She seemed deep in thought. Bofur thought perhaps she hadn't realized that the stew was ready, so he made her a bowl and walked over to her.

"Here ya are, lass." He smiled, holding the bowl out for her.

"Erm, no. No, thank you. I'm not hungry." She smiled tightly.

"You walked an entire day without a break, you should eat somethin'." He urged.

"No, really. I'm quite alright. You take my portion." She insisted.

Bofur wanted to refuse, not because he wasn't hungry, he could eat for days he wanted, but he thought it exceedingly impolite to eat a lady's ration of food. Particularly in a situation where food must be spared to last. He was also concerned for her health. Was she ill? He thought. Will she become ill from not eating? This worried him. He wanted to refuse but he was finding that the pint-sized girl before him was every bit as stubborn as any Dwarf man. Maybe more so. Finally, he simply bowed his head and walked back to the group. Nevaeh had found the solitude of the cliff quite enjoyable. She was use to being alone. She like being alone. She should be alone. After supper, there was a bit of chat among the company. Although two members chose to remain distant and taciturn. Perhaps it was in their nature or perhaps more pressing matters weighed on them, one could not tell. Soon enough the chatter died down and everyone began to settle. Nevaeh hadn't moved. Bofur worried about her. He wondered if she felt like an outsider despite his efforts to make her feel welcome. Which was true. She did enjoy Bofur's company and felt quite comfortable around him, but it changed nothing. She was not like them in any way, shape, or form. With her eyes glued on the night sky, she disappeared into her own mind.

The fire began burning low, Bombur's snores were the only sounds to be heard in the camp. Fili smoked his pipe, Kili polished a small dagger, Thorin had dozed off leaning against a boulder, Bilbo slipped off to sneak Myrtle an apple and the others busied themselves with silent tasks. Suddenly, a piercing cry rang out from the valley below. Nevaeh was on her feet in a flash, readied in a frightfully defensive stance. The others' reactions lagged behind hers. Thorin was jerked from his rest and Bilbo was shaken to his core. Nevaeh was still in her fighting pose when Bofur touched her arm to calm her. As soon as the tip of his finger touched her icy skin, she captured his hand and twisted it behind his back. Kicking his feet from under him, she pinned him to the ground. The act was so quick that Bofur's reaction to the pain was delayed. He cried out in pain. That is when he saw her eyes. They weren't her usual piercing blue eyes. No, these were cold and vivid. Glowing almost. 

"Nevaeh! It's only me!" Bofur choked. "It's alight!" 

It took a moment, but Bofur's cries snapped Nevaeh back to the present. Her eyes slowly return to their normal color. Her hand squeezing Bofur's throat. Her fingers slowly relented. She was mortified by what she was doing. "Bofur!" She said, releasing him and looking at her hands, disgusted. "What have I done?" She said, breathlessly. She looked as if she would cry.

"It's alright. You were just startled is all." Bofur assured her. He got up and dusted himself off. "See. No harm done."

Shame filled her eyes. "I hurt you. I could've killed you."