A Battle of Beasts

The Company was less than a day behind. If nothing else set them behind, they would make it to the mountain with time to spare. Everyone seemed content. Thorin was silently lingering on the conversation from that morning. Alastor's reference to Nevaeh's "protector" had made him a bit irritable. So long as he was there, she needed no other. At least, in his own naive mind. It was not long into their trek that Nevaeh began sensing a growing presence. The Orc scouts were growing nearer and would soon be on their heels. "We need to hurry." She urged. "Azog and his merry band of cutthroats aren't far behind." They soon made it to the rocky hills. It was still morning and they soon found themselves hiding. The Orcs were only yards away.

"Someone needs to assess our situation." Thorin said roughly.

"I'll go." Offered Nevaeh.

"No." He immediately denied. "Bilbo will go."

"Are you mad? They'll see him." She countered.

"He's small enough to slip past unnoticed." He was sure.

"I can do it." Bilbo piped, surely.

"You're sure?" Nevaeh asked.

Though he was not entirely sure, he nodded and gulped. "Yes."

But the Hobbit was not fooling her. She could hear his little heart beating fiercely. Despite her doubt, she argued no more. She would not deny him the chance to put his new found courage to use. "Be careful, Bilbo." She did worry for the Hobbit. In truth, her fondness of Bilbo grew with every day. She trusted him more than anyone else. He had a good heart in him. The Company watched the Hobbit disappear beyond the rocks. From there, they would wait. She sat cross-legged on top of a large boulder, dwarfing her size. Everyone grew quite and Nevaeh listened, for both Bilbo and the pack.

"He'll be fine." Thorin's gruff voice caused her to lose focus. He approached, leaning his back against the same boulder. "You don't hide your concern well."

"You do." She snapped. "You act as if you wouldn't be bothered if something happened to him, but you would. You'd blame yourself." He knew she was right. He felt responsible for everyone in his Company. His stony eyes faltered. "As would any proper leader. " She added with a small smile.

His hard face softened. "Thank you." He said genuinely.

"Don't thank me." She rolled her eyes. "It's the truth. And I hope that you keep that same heart when you become King."

"When?" He raised an eyebrow. "Your confidence in our success amazes me."

"It shouldn't. We've made it this far and we're all still together." She smirked. "I do believe in this quest. I believe in our Company. I even believe in you... most days." She grinned up at him, causing a strange sensation in his chest. "You're smiling." She beamed. It was true, he was smiling.

"So I am." He almost chuckled. Thorin couldn't help smiling. She believed in him, like so many others. But her belief meant so much more than any other.

"It suites you." She giggled lightly, mocking him. His heart fluttered. Her giggles were something he secretly cherished, such wonderful sound.

"Perhaps." His expression was soft. The way he looked at her made her insides feel fuzzy. It was a foreign feeling, but it wasn't bad. But some distant thought began to creep in on him. His brow creased.

"What is it?" She asked, confused by his sudden change. He was cheerful and relaxed only moments ago, now seemed bothered and unsure of something.

"It's nothing." He lied.

"You're lying." She rightly accused.

"It's nothing." He repeated.

"You can tell me." She gave him a small smile.