Earthquake

Silence fell upon the company. The air was suddenly too thick to breathe. All the miles they had traveled and everything they had been through had led to this moment. This was the moment they had fought so hard for. Thorin knelt down to grasp the key in his firm hand. They all watched him apprehensively approach the hidden door. The light was shining onto the smallest of crevices. Nevaeh's eyes never left Thorin. She cared not for the mountain or it treasures. She cared only for its ruler. His happiness and honor meant more than all the gold locked inside.

With steady hands, Thorin slid the key in the keyhole and turned. Pressing both of his hands against the wall of stone, he pushed. The door opened easily. It seemed as if every member of the company was holding their breath. "Erebor." Thorin exhaled.

"Thorin." Balin choked out. His emotions rushing in. Thorin placed a hand on his shoulder, before turning to enter the mountain.

Thorin took the first step into his kingdom and the air that hit him smelled like home. A lump formed in his throat and tears clouded his vision. "I know these walls." He said. "These halls. This stone." He ran his hands softly along the walls. He feared the stone might crumble away. "You remember it, Balin." He turned to face him. "Chambers filled with golden light."

"I remember." Balin smiled.

One by one the dwarves entered their lost kingdom. The thought of returning always seemed so distant, now that they had actually succeeded, they were dazed. Nevaeh's eyes took in the intricate carvings that surrounded the doorway. She was not the only one to notice the runes.

"'Herein lies the Seventh Kingdom of Durin's Folk.'" Gloin read aloud. "'May the Heart of the Mountain unite all Dwarves in defense of this home.'"

"The Throne of the King." Balin explained.

"Ah." Bilbo nodded. "And what's that above it?" He asked.

"The Arkenstone." Balin replied. Nevaeh glanced at him, but then focused her eyes on the gem carving on the wall.

"Arkenstone." Bilbo repeated. "And what's that?"

"That, Master Burglar, is why you are here." Thorin answered, almost smirking. Everyone looked at the hobbit, causing him to shift. His discomfort was obvious to Nevaeh. He swallowed hard.

"Oh, come now." She threw a friendly arm around Bilbo's neck. "The real adventure has just begun."  She knew that this was a suicide mission, but had to keep his mood light, nonetheless. She felt his fear pulsing through him. His heart beat pounded in her ears. She could not decide whether she held any hope in the hobbit succeeding or not. Truthfully, she wanted to have faith in him. But, now, in the hour of truth, she began to fret for him. She had grown to care for Bilbo, and, though his purpose was always known, she began to question the decision. "Thorin." She said, dropping her arm. Balin approached Bilbo as she went to consult with Thorin. She led him far enough away, so they would not be heard. "I don't think we should send him down there." She said plainly. 

He blinked at her. "Why not?"

"It doesn't feel right." She answered. "He's just-"

"It was you who told me to have faith in him, was it not?" He asked. "We cannot give up now. Not when we've come so far. I will not have it slip through our fingers. Bilbo knew what he signed up for when he joined this Company."

"What if I went in his place?" She offered.

"Don't be absurd." He scoffed.

"I mean it." She stood firm. "The main reason Bilbo was chosen was because he was small, light on his feet and the dragon would not recognize his scent. I possess those same qualities."

"No." He would not hear of it. 

"Just think, Thorin. If there is a live dragon down there and if  it awakens, what defense does Bilbo have against him? I, at least, have a fighting chance."

"Enough!" Thorin nearly shouted, silencing her. "I am your leader and you will obey me. You're not going." She glared up at him, her eyes growing more and more intense. Thorin turned and stalked back to the Company. He knew he had angered her. It was a small price compared to the price of losing her. Especially to that cursed dragon, who had already taken so much from him. 

Nevaeh found Balin and Bilbo at the beginning of a corridor, which she assumed lead to the treasury. Balin had given Bilbo all the information he could. Not much could prepare him for what lay ahead. Balin wished him good luck and then returned to the company, leaving Nevaeh and Bilbo alone. "I have no idea what I'm doing." Bilbo scoffed and Nevaeh smiled sympathetically. 

"I can't say I do either." She giggled before becoming serious again. "You've become a dear friend to me, Bilbo." She began. "I wish more than anything for you to succeed and return to us with the Arkenstone. But, I also want you to promise me something. I want you to promise that, if that dragon wakes, you will abandon the stone and come back. Despite the disappointment of the others."

"I-" He stammered a bit. "I know this is a fool's errand.  I know there never was much hope to begin with. But this is what I came for. And if this is what I must do for the others to have a home again, I can muster enough courage to try."

Nevaeh smiled at him. "I suppose that's it, then." She hugged him quickly. "Good luck, Bilbo." She disappeared down the corridor and Bilbo was left to his task.

Thorin's eyes followed her as she rejoined the Company outside. He half expected her to defy his order. She stopped at the edge of the mountain and stared towards the moon. He approached her carefully and she heard his quiet foot steps. "You're angry with me." He said softly.

"I'm angry with you, yes." She answered quietly.

"I am angry with you as well." He drew closer and she turned to argue with him. But he silenced her when he placed his hands on her shoulders. "I need you to understand that I do not wish for you to be angry with me. But you are the most infuriating woman I have ever met. You never do as you're told, you talk back, and you always question my orders. If you were anyone else, I would not let these things go so easily. If you were anyone else, you would be reprimanded and dealt with accordingly. But you're not anyone else. These same things that enrage me, make me care for you. So, I think I need to explain my reasoning for not letting you go."

"You need not explain." She did not want to hear him. "You told me before that you would not be able to keep me safe. I knew that. I knew the risks and so did you. But that does not mean that we should not try our damnedest to keep each other alive and that includes Bilbo. We should not sacrifice his life so quickly."

"Bilbo knew the risks as well." He countered. "He still signed the contact and agreed to the task."

Thorin was right. She knew he was. Bilbo wanted to do this. She would not deny him the chance to prove himself to this Company. But to Nevaeh, Bilbo was, in many ways, a symbol of hope. A symbol that there was some good in this world. Pure, untainted goodness. Something that she had long forgotten existed. Thorin knew that she had given in. He settled his hand gently on the back of her neck. "Have faith, amrâlimê."

"Ama- what?" She cocked her brow at him.

He smirked. "Figure it out." He pulled her to him and quickly kissed her temple before walking away. She rolled her eyes. She would never be able to stay angry with him. He was much too charming. That was an adjective that she never thought she'd use to describe him not so long ago. So much had changed so quickly. Memories over these past months flashed in her mind. Beginning from her first sight of Thorin in Bree, to his cold reception of her in the Shire, Rivendell, Azog nearly finishing him off, his confession in Beorn's home, saving her from Thranduil's cells, the night in Laketown, and everything in between. Everything until now. Now when every breath was uncertain, he could still warm her heart. And with it, he dissolved her anger. Nevaeh had been so engrossed in her thoughts and memories that she failed to hear the commotion deep within the mountain. Until that ground shook viciously beneath her feet and the mountain rumbled loudly. 

"Was that an earthquake?" Dori asked with a shaking voice. A question that everyone knew was only being optimistic. A question to which Balin would answer.

"That, my lad, was a dragon."