I Am Fire

The company set out toward the forges, scattering in all directions. Thorin, Nevaeh, Bilbo, and Balin set off towards a bridge. The pattering of their quickened feet drawing Smaug's attention. "Flee." The dragon taunted as he crouched, bracing himself.  "Flee. Run for you lives. There is nowhere to hide." He rose up, preparing to strike.

"Behind you!" A voice called.

"Worm!" Another shouted.

Smaug whipped his long neck around to see Ori, Dori and Bombur. 

"Run!" Agitated, the dragon briskly started toward them, letting out a powerful shriek. Once his attention had turned, the others bolted down the passageway. 

"Hey, you!" Dwalin barked. "Here!" The dragon shifted his attention once more. Dwalin and Nori hurried for cover. 

It was working. The dragon was slightly disoriented by the company's sudden bombardment. His frustration mounted as he let out a fiery breath that made the stone floors heat and glower beneath their boots. Nevaeh and the others had made it to a broad hallway with towering ceilings. "This way!" It's this way!" Balin called out, turning to a narrow archway. Though Thorin kept moving forward. "Come on!" He gestured.

 "Thorin!" Nevaeh and Bilbo cried simultaneously. 

Thorin halted and turned toward them quickly. Just then, the dragon rounded the corner. "Follow Balin." He instructed. Neveah took a quick step forward just as the dragons belly bloated and glowed red, signaling his infernal breath. "Go!" Thorin shouted at her. Balin yanked her by her arm, pulling her into the archway as the flames consumed the hall. 

"Thorin." She said in a strangled breath. 

"Come now!" Balin pulled her away. The dragon's monstrous claws slammed into the stone as he chased Thorin to the end of the hallway. The forge was vast and dark. It smelled of metal and dust. One by one, other members of the company scurried into the forge. Nevaeh's panic set in when the minutes ticked on and Thorin still hadn't arrived. Bilbo noticed. She was as frozen as the forges around her. He touched her shoulder.

"He'll come." He assured her, weakly. Though, he wasn't sure if he believed it himself.

The sound of running feet caught her attention and she stepped forward nervously. Thorin and Nori entered the forge together and relief washed over her.

"The plan's not gonna work. These furnaces are stone cold." Dwalin wasted no time.

Balin confirmed. "He's right. We've no fire hot enough to set them ablaze." The dragon's menacing roared echoed through the halls.

Thorin smirked. "Have we not?" He purposefully walked toward the entrance to the forge and called out to Smaug. "I did not look to see you so easily outwitted." The dragons sharp claws emerged from the lower halls, hoisting him up. "You have grown slow and fat in your dotage...slug!" Thorin provoked. Smaug's irritation mounted higher; his belly glowed. Thorin turned with a devious look. "Take cover. Go!" They jumped to hide behind the thick metal gate that stood between them and the beast. Smaug's fire whipped around them. The pillars shielded them from the scorching blaze.

As Thorin planned, Smaug's breath set the forges alight. The fires grew quickly and were soon burning brightly. "Bombur!" Thorin called. "Get those bellows working. Go!" He commanded. He had a plan, he would not lead his people blindly. Smaug was throwing his full weight into the gate. It would not stand long. "Bilbo! Up there." He pointed. "On my mark, pull that lever."

"The gate is giving." Nevaeh shouted.

"Balin! Can you still mix a flash-flame?" Thorin asked.

"Aye. It'll only take a jiffy." He scurried into the supply room. Nevaeh followed.