The Soul Of An Artist

The Soul Of An Artist by Angel_Lily
🎨🎨🎨🎨🎨🎨🎨🎨

"Are you going to submit that painting in to Mr. Harris?"

"No, I don't like it. It feels unfinished, even if it's done."

It was in the middle of Physics class that Stiles wondered if he should even turn in that hideous painting. He wasn't proud of it. If he was honest. It was his worst work ever. Scott, on the other hand, being the doting best friend thought that it was brilliant just like all his other works.

It wasn't that Stiles was a bad artist, in actuality, he was one of the school's best. He could have probably turned it in and gotten an A+ because the composition, the texture, the artistic sensibilities were all there, but the problem was he wasn't invested in it.

Call it an artist's quirk, but if it was less than impressive in his mind, then how else would everyone else find it impressive?

"You know what you need?"

"No. What?"

"An inspiration."

Stiles wanted to gag at Scott's overly sappy cliché line of thought. He rolled his eyes at Scott and decided to ignore whatever his best friend was babbling about and stared out the open window onto the track field it overlooked.

The only good thing about physics class was that it was around the same time the gym class' star athletes ran track. And of course, the biggest upside was that he got to stare at Derek Hale's perfect form sprinting across the field. It was an unrequited crush but they were friends and he didn't want to ruin what footing they had in their friendship by the looming rejection. Needless to say, he was content.

When the bell rang Stiles bid Scott a farewell as he headed to art club while Scott scooted on out to Lacrosse practice.

"Hey Mr. Harris!"

"Stiles, you haven't turned your project in yet."

"Hello to you too."

"No pleasantries today, you know the gallery is in a week and I really think you have a big chance of winning and giving credit to our art department," said Mr. Harris as he walked off.

"Yup. Great. no pressure there." Stiles mumbled underneath his breath as he set about assembling his art supplies. He had rituals when it came to things like this and he had to be in a proper mind set for the ideas to come out properly. Distractions are not welcome, which is why he spends the after school hours that Scott is in practice for his art while waiting since he was Scott's ride. That way he won't be bored and he could get things done in peace.

Not expecting company, Stiles was surprised looking up to see Derek standing from the door silently watching him.

"Hey stranger," he greeted and was met with a slight nod.

"I saw the painting you did of Erica and Boyd last week. It was great."

"You think so? I was kind of nervous about that one since I've never done portraits like that with actual people as the models."

"You completely captured them."

"Thanks!" Stiles grinned happily. Stiles was nervous as he interacted with Derek. It wasn't that the guy was intimidating. Well, maybe to everyone else, but he was always quick to smile instead of frowning whenever they were together or with all their other friends.

"So I was thinking, maybe you can paint me too."

"You? Why?" Stiles looked at Derek skeptically. It was one thing to compliment him and a completely different thing for someone to ask him to model for him.