Un-Valentine's Day

Un-Valentine's Day by cabbageoriley

This is the second Valentine's Day after Derek and Stiles became friends instead of enemies. Last year, the goof-ball gave him a dozen red roses. AS A JOKE, he assured the wolf. But, after that, they started getting closer. And closer. By April, they were dating. By Independence Day, they were busy making their own "fireworks". At Thanksgiving, Derek asked Stiles to move in with him. They hosted the pack's annual Christmas Party in their new and improved apartment.

Now, it's Valentine's Day, and Derek knows without a shadow of a doubt that Stiles is going to propose. He stumbles upon the young boy's secret Pinterest account about a week ago- "Epic Proposal of Epic Proportions". It was about a thousand pins worth of Valentine's proposal inspiration.

Contrary to what the pack thinks, Derek is a total romantic. He was thrilled, and fell even deeper in love with the honey-eyed boy. He got increasingly excited as he counted down the days to February 14th.

On Valentine's morning, Derek wakes up fully expecting breakfast in bed with a ring hidden in his waffles. After 20 minutes of waiting, he realizes Stiles isn't coming. Walking into the kitchen, he realizes Stiles isn't even in the house.

Oh, well... Stiles is probably out finalizing some romantic lunch plans. Making sure the chef has a ring to put in the mashed potatoes or whatever, right? Right.

He opens the pantry to get the things he needs to make his own breakfast. He decides not to have toast after the toaster begins to smoke, and he has to unplug it before the whole house burns down. He gets out a frying pan instead. Derek fixes himself breakfast and sits down at the kitchen island to eat it. He's halfway through his eggs and bacon when Stiles opens the front door and romps into the kitchen.

He hits Derek in the face with a red rose and smacks a kiss on his cheek. "Happy Valentine's Day, babe!"

Derek grins from ear to ear- a genuine smile. "Happy Valentine's Day, Stiles."

The boy sits down on the stool beside him and pulls Derek's plate in front of him.

Derek growls, "Those are mine."

Stiles scrunches up his face and growls back. "Your intimidation techniques don't work on me, grumpybear." He shoves a whole piece of bacon in his mouth. "So," he mumbles around the crunchy pig, "where are you taking me today?"

Derek is thrown off guard. He thought Stiles had made the plans. "Where am I taking you?"

Stiles whines. "Yeah! It's Valentine's Day. You're supposed to plan something romantic!" He ducks his head. "Don't you love me, Derek?"

"Of course I love you! I just..."

"Didn't think to plan anything on our first Valentine's Day as a couple. Right. Babe, you're the romantic one. What's wrong with you?"

Derek blushes. "I thought that... you might want to plan something."

"I did plan something." Derek's heart quickens. "I planned on doing something you planned!" Derek's face falls. Stiles shoves another piece of bacon in his mouth. "Geesh, Derek. Way to ruin my day."

Derek whines. "You really didn't have any plans?"

"I made no plans for today."

The way Stiles emphasizes the word "today" makes something click in Derek's mind. Stiles didn't plan anything for today. He planned something for "tonight".

Derek decides to play along. "Let me make it up to you. You can choose anything you want to do today, and I'll do it with you."

"Anything?" Stiles' eyes are mischievous.