Chapter 8- Dear Lemony Life

You know the feeling that you get when you know you're telling the truth but not a single soul is ready to believe you?

That's exactly how I'm feeling right now.

So basically, the conversation between my 'best friend' and me was like this-

Me: "First of all, you have to promise me you'll not laugh okay?"

Natasha: "OK... Unless it's a joke" (a sly grin on her face)

Me(rolling my eyes): "It's not. Alright. So the first thing is... I'm not actually Jackie..."

Nats: "You're her twin?"

Me(through gritted teeth): "Nooooo! Would you please listen to the whole story?"

Nats(swinging one leg over another): "Go on"

Me: "Okay. So, I'm actually named Felicia and you...uh, you are actually my best friend. Once, not long ago, I made a wish to be this girl named Jackie using a wish reader. Well, you probably don't know what a wish reader is so I'm just gonna continue... So, the next day I was transformed into Jackie, ok? I was no longer Felicia and you were no longer my best friend..."

Nats: "O-kay"

Me(panic and voice both rising): "Look it's true okay?! If I were the real Jackie then why would I even talk with you?" (I slump on bed trying to control my tears)

Nats(putting a sympathetic hand over my shoulder): "I know it's hard for you to maintain school, dance classes and all the other stuff you do simultaneously but you gotta be strong okay? Just de-stress a little and relax your mind. Text me if you want... Um.. bye for now"

Saying this, she goes away. So cool,right?

Even when I saw her in school today, she looked at me as if I was some lost dog trying to find shelter!

I smiled at her in return but inside, I was like, "I do NOT need your SYMPATHY! I want you to BELIEVE ME you...you...ugh! Forget it!"

Life has always given me lemons. But this time, they are extra-acidic. Not fair at all!

I was sitting at the furthermost table of the cafeteria, spending some alone-time.

"Hey beautiful", someone addressed. It was Jasper of course.

It was so strange how people were calling me different names these days.Babe.Jack.Beautiful. Although I liked it a little bit, I still missed Natasha's 'Bookie'...

"Earth to Jackie" Jasper said again stopping my train of thoughts.

"Hey... how are ya?" I said, still a bit dazed.

"I'm the same as before... unlike you"

"And what's that supposed to mean?"

"You seem different Jackie... you don't enjoy being with me" there was a slight annoyance on Jasper's face.

Well, how can I Jasper? How can I?

"I don't know Jesse... I just... I don't feel like me anymore"

He flashed a slight but very cute smile. "Will a date with me make you feel better?"

Just as he said 'date', I forgot everything. A date with Jasper. It was like my dream!

"I guess it will..."I said with a twinkle in my eyes.

****************************

As we entered the small but pretty coffee shop, a strong smell of coffee welcomed us. Yumm!

As we sat on the beautifully furnished chairs, facing each other, Jasper remarked, "Your hair looks amazing"

I smiled an amused smile. I had done the same hairstyle which I had done to Rosa's party last year. Jasper didn't even notice me that day. But now the exact same hairstyle looked appealing on the Jackie-version of me.

I suddenly felt quite depressed. Why do people like Jackie so much? (I'm not talking about me. If you have any doubt. I'm talking about the real, old Jackie)

Why was she so special to everyone? Why does Jasper like the Jackie-version of me and not the real me?...

"Hey, what do you wanna eat?" Jasper asked. Beside him, a funny looking waiter was standing.

"I'll just have a cup of espresso" I said trying to sound normal.

"But... you hate espresso right?" Jasper looked confused.

"I do?" I cringed. "Well... never mind. I'll have whatever you're having"

"Great" he said. Turning towards the waiter, he said,"Okay, we'll have two cappuccinos and strawberry cheesecake"

"Thank you sir, it'll be ready in a minute" the waiter replied politely and went off to take other orders.

We chatted for quite sometime before our food arrived. Taking a sip of cappuccino, he said, "We have to start our practice tomorrow"

"Football practice?" I asked.

"No. Dance practice. You and I are taking part in the inter-school duet competition remember?"

"WHAT?" I exclaimed. Dancing is the last thing I knew how to do!

"Yeah... Like every year we're gonna win it this time too" he said enthusiastically.

Then I remembered. Jackie and Jasper were the best dancing couple. They never lost this competition. It's been a record since three years!

And now it was going to break. All because Felicia Portman couldn't find anything better to do than to wish to be Jackie- the ultimate dancer.

"You don' have any problem right?" Jasper asked seriously.

"No Jasper" I said, my mind filled with a gush of terror. "I got no problem"

A/N

Oopsie oops, Felicia's in trouble eep! What do you think is going to happen next? Do comment and tell me!

Don't forget to vote, share and add this book to your reading lists to show your support 😄 Please do point out any typos that I might have missed 🙋