Series 1 Episode 13: The Parting of the Ways: Hologram

P.O.V: The Doctor

Rose and I were sitting on the ground near the console of the Game Station, and I was busy putting together the Delta Wave.

"Suppose," Rose began, but didn't finish. I waited a second.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"You said suppose?" Rose sighed.

"No, I was just thinking, I mean, obviously, you can't, but, you've got a time machine. Why can't you just go back to last week and warn them?"

"As soon as the Tardis lands in that second, I become part of events, stuck in the timeline." At least Rose was trying to think of ways to get us out of this mess, but there was only one way for that.

"Yeah. Thought it'd be something like that." I decided to bring up an interesting point to Rose.

"There's another thing the Tardis can do. It could take us away. We could leave, let history take it's course. We go to Marbella is 1989."

"Yeah, but you'd never do that." She was right. I could never leave Earth to be destroyed by my biggest enemy.

"No, but you could ask. Never even occurred to you did it?" I knew her answer before she even said it.

"Well, I'm just too good." I smiled. Then the energy in the Delta Wave stirred.

"The Delta Wave's started building. How long does it need?" I jumped up and ran over to the console, and what I saw wasn't good. I had to get Rose out of here, she'd die with me if she stayed. I knew she'd never leave on her own accord, so I had to trick her.

"Is that bad? Okay, that's bad. How bad is it?" Let's hope I got this right.

''Rose Tyler, you're a genius!'' I took her head in my hands and kissed her forehead. ''We can do it! If I use the Tardis to cross my own timeline, yes!''

We ran inside the Tardis and I showed her what to do. ''Hold that down and keep position.''

''What's it do?'' She asked, her voice full of joy.

''Cancels the buffers. If I'm very clever and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant, I may be able to save the world! Or rip it apart.'' She was buying it, great! I only wished I could say a proper goodbye.

''I'd go for the first one.'' She laughed.

''Me too. Now, I've just got to go and power up the Game Station, hold on!'' With those words I ran out of the Tardis and stopped midway to the console. I turned and looked back in the Tardis, with Rose safely inside.

My hearts felt heavy with sadness as I pointed my sonic screwdriver at the Tardis. I heard Rose from inside shouting.

''Doctor, what're you doing? Can I take my hand off it's moving?'' I knew right about now she'd be running for the door, but it was on lock down. ''Doctor! Let me out!'' I could hear her pounding on the door, the thumps and bangs as she desperately tried to escape. Then the Tardis was gone. And so was Rose Tyler.

***************************

P.O.V: Rose Tyler

''Doctor! Let me out! What've you done?'' I pounded on the door, and I knew I was going home. I turned as I heard a buzzing noise, and a hologram of the Doctor was standing at the top next to the console.

''This is Emergency Program One. Rose, now listen, this is important. If this message is activated it can only mean one thing. We must be in danger. And I mean fatal. I'm dead or about to die any second with no chance of escape.''

My heart lurched as I took in his words. ''No!'' I cried, and ran up next to him.

''And that's okay. I hope it's a good death. But I promised to look after you, and that's what I'm doing. The Tardis is taking you home.''

No, no no no, Doctor! ''I won't let you!'' But I knew he couldn't hear me.''

''And I bet you're fussing and moaning right now, typical. But hold on and listen just a bit more. The Tardis can never return for me. Emergency Program One means I'm facing an enemy that should never get their hands on this machine. So this is what you should do. Let the Tardis die. Just let this old box gather dust. No one can open it. No one'll even notice it. Let it become a strange little thing standing on a street corner. And over the years, the world'll move on and the box will be buried. And if you want to remember me, then you can do one thing.'' The Hologram-Doctor turned and faced me directly.

''Have a good life. Do that for me, Rose. Have a fantastic life.''