Chapter Sixteen

Lily got up early in the morning to go down to the Common Room to get an early start on the day, do a bit of quick studying, and to avoid seeing Rose.

It was getting very near time for her to head down to the Great Hall to join Scorpius for breakfast, but he hadn't come down from bed yet. Lily grew more and more impatient with every passing second, so she started to study some more before getting to class. She wanted to impress her professors and her parents, but mostly, she just really wanted to make time to work on other things.

Halfway through the chapter over Ashwinders in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Lily was startled by a hand slapping the page she was on.

She looked up and jokingly pushed Scorpius and closed her book, "What took you so long?"

"I woke up a few minutes ago," Scorpius replied quietly, "Don't tell." He put his index finger to his lips and Lily rolled her eyes, but she couldn't stop smiling.

"Whatever, just come on." She grabbed Scorpius' hand and pulled him down to the Great Hall for breakfast.

Rose came down the stairs slowly, knowing that her cousin may hate her and never talk to her again. She looked up to see Lily and Scorpius holding hands going down to the Great Hall. At first, anger filled her, made her want to tell them to stop flirting already, but then the anger subdued and Rose was left alone on the stairs as people pushed past her to leave the room.

She felt guilty, really guilty, and all she wanted to do was make it up to Lily. Slowly, Rose made her way out of the common room and to the Great Hall to eat. She sat alone at the end of one of the long tables and ate little.

She looked down the rows of Hogwarts students to see Lily and Scorpius laughing and eating together and suddenly, Rose felt lonelier than she ever had in her life. Tears stung her eyes, but she fought them back. The last thing she needed was to cry in front of all of her peers and professors. She didn't need to feel absolutely guilty and humiliated at the same time.

On the way to class, Rose had what she thought was a brilliant idea. She could easily just send Lily a note, One that explain how sorry Rose really was, how lonely she really was, and how she kind of understood what Lily was feeling. She figured she had to at least try.

Picking herself up a bit, Rose thought, Lily has to understand. She's my cousin. There's no way she'd pick a boy, much less a Malfoy, over me, her blood.

Lily sat down and Scorpius sat down next to her, in Rose's seat. They looked at each other and smiled.

"I hope we did the potion right," Lily whispered quietly.

"Why wouldn't we," Scorpius asked quietly.

Lily glanced over her shoulder to look at Rose, who was hard at work drawing and writing on a piece of paper, and turned back to Scorpius, "Because Rose could've messed you up."

"How could she have possibly done that?"

"She could've scared you, which, in turn, made you wave your wand wrong or drop an extra quill in. I don't know." Lily looked at Professor Flitwick who was too busy helping other students properly "swish and flick" to notice her conversation.

"Lily, she only appeared after the potion was done. She didn't mess it up."

"Are you sure," Lily asked skeptically, "I mean, do we know for certain that it's perfectly fine? We don't know if- ow!" Lily's face grew red as the class turned to look at her.

"Something the matter, Ms. Potter," Professor Flitwick raised an eyebrow at her.

"No, sir," she replied, looking down.