Spin The Bottle

Phil saw Dan from across the lunchroom. His hair was swept over his face covering one chocolate brown eye. Phil fiddled with his hands under the table as his friend, Maya sat next to him, "Are you going to invite him to the party tonight?" She asked taking a bite of a carrot.

Phil felt his stomach shoot to his throat, "Uh, why would I do that?"

Maya snorted, "Because you obviously dig him."

He looked at Dan once again who sat down at a table popping headphones into his ears, "No I don't."

She rolled her eyes and shoved Phi's shoulder, "Whatever, Phil. It's my party and I say you invite him."

Phil shook his head in terror. There was no way he could build up enough courage to ask him, "No way."

Maya stood up to Phil's surprise and said, "Fine, then I will."

"Stop!" Phil tried to grab onto her shirt but she twisted her hips dodging Phil's attempt as he fell to the floor.

"Too late." Maya smiled and strutted across the lunchroom. Phil hid behind the table kneeling on the floor in embarrassment.

Maya walked up to him and tapped his shoulder. Phil shoved his hands through his hair watching in pure fear. She talked to him a bit with a smile plastered onto her face. Then she pointed to Phil who felt his cheeks turn red as he ducked under the seat watching the scene play out through the legs of tables. He saw Dan laugh and say something back to Maya. She walked back and hovered over Phil.

"Get up." Maya laughed helping Phil up with a hand. Phil felt his cheeks still burning as he looked anywhere but Dan.

"Why would you do that?" Phil asked, "What did he say?" Curiosity winning over his anger.

"He said he'd think about it."

"Oh, God, he probably thinks i'm so lame. This is terrible, he isn't coming, you saw him laugh at me." Phil poured his worries buzzing around.

"Shush, i'm pretty sure he laughed at you because he thought you were cute." Maya said with a smile leaning back in her chair.
"Why would you say that? You have no proof he thought I was cute." Phil was not buying a word Maya said, he knew she was just trying to make him feel better.

"Uh, yeah I do. He was laughing at you in a nice way and he said, 'Yeah, I know Phil, he's pretty cool.'"

"Cool does not equal cute." Phil rolled his eyes, "Besides, he's way cooler than me."

"Whatever, you'll thank me when you get together."

"Shut up." Phil whined, "We are not getting together. I don't even like him."

"You're not fooling me, I know you like him." Maya spluttered with a laugh.

"I do not." Phil defended himself.

"Bullshit, I saw the way you were flustered about him, it's obvious."

Phil rolled his eyes, "You're just so caught up in your matchmaking stigma to realize I don't like him."

"Big words, Lester." Maya smiled, "Say what you want, I know you like him and you are actually very happy I invited him."

"Whatever you say." Phil mumbled taking a bite of an apple.

That night Phil entered Maya's house a bit later not wanting to be the first one there. Maya greeted him with a hug and took him by the hand, weaving through the crowded space. People were talking and dancing, drinks in hand. Phil looked through all the faces searching for the one he wanted to see. Disappointment sunk deep through his body as he realized Dan wasn't here yet.