Chapter 37

Alex checked her watch, eight minutes left before class would resume. Sitting down, she flipped the history book open. Swoosh! She paged until she found the page they had discussed before lunch. A piece of ancient yellow paper fell out from between the pages, floating down to the floor. Shocked, she fell out of her seat, hit the floor with a thud, and scrambled back.

Her heart pounded rapidly in her chest. Forcing herself to breathe deep. For a couple of seconds she gaped at the paper before she took two pencils. Pinning it between the pencils carefully, she lifted it. Manoeuvring it in between two pages. Smack! She slapped the book closed. Phew!

The door opened.

Her body jerked. "You startled me." she said, blushing. I AM GUILTY OF SOMETHING, clearly written on her face.

Stopping, Philip sniffed the air, eyeing her suspicious. "You didn't have lunch." He stated, placing another stack of books down on the desk.

"Is that mine?" she asked, her optimism dying a painful death.

"Yes, vampires are a complex subject, whether dead, alive, or half-breed." He handed her the notebooks. "We will start with the living dead first." Philip turned, took a whiteboard marker, and wrote:

Vampire physics

Temperature: 10 degrees

Food: liquid-blood - animal/human

Speed: 100 - 500 km per hour

Strength: depends on what their human capabilities were

Hearing: 60 000 decibel's per second - distance 5km's or more

Sight: night and day vision the same

Smell: A 10 km radius

Special abilities: Some born with it and in rare cases receive one if not born with an

ability.

Teeth: fangs grow when vampire needs to feed/defend/kill.

Skin: tough.

Healing rate: fast - needs blood for regenerating flesh/skin.

He proceeded to explain every aspect in detail. After finishing with the lesson, he looked at her expectantly.

"Any questions?"

"Lots, but I think I will get the rest of the answers in here." She patted the pile with keen interest.

Nodding stiffly. "As you wish." Rounding the desk, he sat down on the edge. Crossing his arms. "Alex, I need to warn you." His voice dropped to a whisper. "Not everyone in this establishment wants you to succeed."

Not so close! Leaning back, she tried not to recoil. Damn Raven! "I know," sighing, "the sad part is that not even I want to. I wish I could go home. Back to the way things were." She admitted, hanging her head.

"Why would you do that?" he asked surprised.

"I don't belong here or anywhere."

"Sure you do."

"No, I don't." she said sadly. "I am not human, neither vampire." A sigh escaped. "I am something."

He thought about this. "I disagree."

"I was not born of a vampire father and human mother like you."

"You got a point, if you put it like that." He looked at his watch. "It's almost time for your next class. I will walk you."