Chapter 4

Jade's POV

Zayn didn't say a word. He just looked at me emotionless. I stared back at him trying to figure out what he was thinking. I couldn't think of any thing to say or do, so I gave him a small wave of my right hand and then closed my apartment door. I leaned my back against the closed door and tried to evaluate his facial appearance. It felt quite weird not being able to know what someone is thinking. Usually I can read what people have going on through their eyes but it is as if he has a shield up that blocks anyone from knowing how he truly feels.

Thinking about this made me sigh loudly. This morning was great and now I am bored with nothing to do except think about a boy who is rude, disrespectful... complex.... good looking, handsome, strong and.........*face-palm*. I smacked myself in the forehead trying to punish myself for thinking about the way he looked. "Get a hold of yourself. You need to focus on your career and school." I whisper-shout to myself. But then again... Where was he goi...

My phone rang, interrupting my thoughts. I made my way down the hallway trying to go as slow as I could because I liked the sound of my ring tone.

Come on skinny love just last the year, 

Pour a little salt you were never here, 

My my my, my my my, my-my my-my... 

Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer.

I tell my love to wreck it all, 

Cut out all the ropes and let me fall, 

My my my, my my my, my-my my-my... 

Right in the moment this order's tall.  

-Birdy "Skinny Love"

Before the song could continue, I walked into my bedroom to grab my phone off of my bed. Without looking at the caller ID, I answered the call.

"Hello?" I said leaning towards it being a question.

"JADE! I'm so excited!! Guess what???" A girl says excitingly.

"Oh my gosh! Hi Alyssa, it's been so long since we have talked. Tell me everything! How are you and more importantly... Why are you awake at four in the morning?" I say all in one breath.

"Calm down woman! I will tell you everything and because I got into the habit of taking long naps or "sleeps" like you do. I can't go back to sleep."

"Ohh, nice. You pick up my habits. On the bright side, we can catch up!"

"Yes, well I have a HUGE surprise but I have to explain a few things. Did I tell you about my dad yet?"

"Um, not that I know of. What happened?" I say with worry in my voice.

"He had a heart attack about five months ago. I didn't want to tell anyone if you are wondering why you didn't find out until now. My dad didn't want anyone to know either." She says sadly.

"I'm so sorry Alyssa. That must have been hard on you. Is Mr. Johnny alright?"

"Yes, in fact he is fine. He has been going through therapy and is recuperating. The doctor said he needed to cut back on the amount of work he's been doing."

"So how have you been able to be okay through all of this? Is the boat alright?"

"Yes! I have been working on the boat for him. It's been me and my fathers deckhand Niall." She says rather happily.

"Who's this Niall you speak so happily of?"

"No one. He is just a nice guy who works for my dad."