Chapter 25: The way things should be

Dad was going to be pissed. But oddly enough I didn't care. I was just happy that I wasn't worrying any more, and that my brain could take a break from all the stress. And then the door bell rang.

I snapped right out of my happy state and stared at the door, wondering who it was. I slowly stumbled over to the door and pulled it open to see my friend, Mike.

“Mike, hey! I haven't seen you in ages!” I slurred, leaning forward to clutch his strong, muscled arm.

“Kate, are you drunk?”

“No! Why would I be drunk?”

“You are, aren't you?” He questioned again, looking intently at my face.

“Hehe maybe a little.” I giggled, holding my fingers a centimetre apart.

“Where'd you get the alcohol Kate?”

“Found it.” I answered, a hiccup escaping.

“Let's go inside, come on.” He said, pushing me gently to the lounge room, closing the front door behind us.

“What are you doing? This isn't like you.”

“I know,” I sighed. “But it seemed like a good idea at the time.”

“Are you going to tell me what happened with Matt?” Of course this was coming.

“What's to tell?” I asked, playing with my fingers.

“Why you broke up with him when I know you loved him, and still do. So enlighten me Kate, what made you do it?”

“Nothing made me do it. I was tired of it all, ok? What more do you want from me?”

“The truth.”

“That is the truth.” I lied.

“Then why did you get drunk? How come every time Matt sees you at school you look miserable? There's no point lying to me.”

“That doesn’t matter. None of it does. Nothing matters any more because I blew it.” I confessed, my eyes filling with tears.

“Not necessarily. Now talk to me, i'm here to listen.” He comforted, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

“I had to do it, I didn't want to break up with him, I never did. But Wes, he saw us, he made me do it or else he was going to get Matt fired. I couldn't let that happen, I couldn't ruin his life.” I sobbed, resting my head against his shoulder as my tears streamed down my cheeks.