Suspicions

Lexa quickly excused herself to go and sort out the last few patrols, the other Grounders around us slowly beginning to disperse. I took a step closer to my mom when we were alone, far from happy about the new arrangement.

'What are you doing here?' I questioned her in a hushed tone, not fooled for one moment by the innocent expression on her face.

'I don't know what you mean Clarke, it just made sense to stay here instead of making a pointless journey back to camp' she insisted, as if that were a perfectly reasonable explanation, which it would be if it was anyone else.

'Normally you would just send Bellamy with any messages, you could've travelled here with the others in three days time, so why come personally today?' I asked suspiciously, attempting to get an honest response.

'Not everything I do has an ulterior motive, I don't know what more you want me to say' she said dismissively, as if I were being ridiculous though I knew that this was not me over thing things.

I didn't have an opportunity to push further when Lexa returned at my side, quickly picking up on the tension from my mom's defensive stance and my narrowed eyes.

'Chancellor, if you would like to follow me I will show
you to the tent where you will be staying for the next few days' she said, motioning for Abby to follow her through camp. My mom shot me one last look before she went and I shook my head at her lack of subtlety.

When they dissapeared between the scattering of huts, my attention turned to where Lincoln and Octavia where seated by the fire. They gestured for me to join them so I moved over to them with a smile.

'Clarke, it's good to see you' Lincoln greeted me warmly, gesturing for me to take a seat on the log next to theirs.

'It has been a while since we have spoken' I replied as I took a seat. We had both been caught up with our duties and hardly saw each other so it was nice to talk to him properly.

'We heard about the plans to search the mountain' Octavia spoke up, having been present when my mom had arrived. The Grounders were uneasy about the news but wouldn't dare speak against the commanders decision.

'Do you think that's a good idea?' she continued, fully aware how much the Grounders detested the mountain after what had taken place there.

'If we find supplies still in the mountain, which I'm almost certain there will be, we could make good use of them' I replied, thinking especially of any medicine that we could bring back.

Octavia nodded in agreement but I knew that not everyone would be so accepting of the decision to travel back to the mountain.

Our conversation came to a stop when Indra's sharp voice was heard from the other side of the fire, calling impatiently for her second. Octavia grimaced and gave Lincoln a quick peck on the cheek before jumping to her feet.

'I'll see you guys later' she said as she hurried across the clearing to where Indra stood with a scowl on her face. They exchanged a few words before moving away from the fire and out of sight. As I watched them go, I saw my mom moving through the huts in the direction of the fire that me and Lincoln were sitting by.

She hadn't caught sight of us yet but she was clearly hunting for me, her gaze scouring everywhere for my location. It just so happened that Lexa passed by on her way to a meeting with her generals, and so rather than face my mom I jumped up from the log and quickly caught up with the commanders long strides.

She looked suprised when I appeared at her side but didn't comment when she saw my mom in the distance, understanding my need to keep out of her way.