Reality

My dreams were plagued with the faces of those that I had left at camp, my mind refusing to allow me a peaceful rest. I tossed and turned in my position as time after time I saw those I cared about pointing at me with an accusatory glare, the word murderer falling silently from their lips. Upon waking I knew that this was merely an after effect of Cage's mind games, it still shook me badly though and I refused to return to sleep after some time. It was easier to hold onto reality if I was awake.

As the night finally drew to a close and light began to spill down through the leaves above me, I decided that it was time to make a move. Before heading out I stopped at the small stream nearby and drank my fill, not knowing when I would next come across water. My body was in far more pain this morning now that the adrenaline had worn off and each step sent fresh pain coursing through me.

Continuing my trek through the trees, my mind remained muddled from my previous dreams even as I tried hard to put them behind me. I kept imagining glances of my friends in the tree's calling my name softly in the wind, it became so unbearable that I broke into as fast a sprint as my body could manage, hoping to out run the demons that plagued my thoughts.

My feet soon began to drag along the ground from the effort, my foot becoming snared on a protruding root and I was sent tumbling down the side of a steep slope, only coming to a rest at the bottom when the ground levelled out once more. I grasped my side with a groan at where a rock had knocked against my healing wound, every part of my body radiating pain from the unforeseen descent.

Climbing somewhat unsteadily to my feet I was startled to see figures clad in black approaching through the tree's towards me. Unsure whether my mind was continuing to play tricks on me, I sunk into a defensive crouch and brandished my knife as they got ever closer. They communicated with each other in low almost in audible voices, advancing slowly as if hunting a wild animal. Shaking my head as my vision blurred, I struck out with my knife in warning to keep them at bay. When this seemed to have no effect I went to grab the gun from where it was tucked safely under my shirt, only for a cry to go up amongst the figures in front of me.

'Gun!' the closest one called out as he rushed forwards with what looked like some kind of pole. Before I could understand what was happening the man thrust the pole forwards and a jolt of electricity seared through my body, my hand falling away from my gun as I dropped to the ground with an agonised screech. The figure seemed panicked by my cries and, wanting nothing but to escape from the torturous pain, I attempted to rise and flee from my attackers. They mistook my movement for further retaliation and proceeded with a second shock. Another scream tore from my throat and I fell back to the ground, having no option but to give in to whatever fate these enemies had in store for me.

After what my body had already endured whilst in captivity, this assault was too much to bear and I felt the strength seeping from limbs. My vision darkening from the assault, I was confused when my attackers spun around and began to move away. Was that it, were they just leaving me here to die?

Barely aware of what was happening, I heard angry shouts filling the air accompanied by the flurry of hoof beats on the ground. Through blurry vision I saw multiple figures dismount, roughly pushing my attackers away as a solitary figure approached where I lay motionless on the ground. Terrified that this was another attack I used what little control over my body remained to try to back away from the imposing figure, only for strong hands to take hold of me and keep me firmly in place as they knelt before me.

I saw the braids and dark war paint but refused to believe it, squeezing my eyes shut to banish the vision that plagued me. In many dreams I had seen the same Grounder and had been filled with joy that I had made my way back, only for the figure to leave silently, disgust in their eyes after all that I had done. Despite my efforts to return to reality, opening my eyes once more I saw that the figure remained crouched in front of me and there was no denying the gentle grip on my arms. Maybe this was real after all. Did I dare to believe it?