Good News

For the next week I stayed at camp Jaha, ensuring that everything went smoothly. After sending the two Grounders back with the message asking for help, the council didn't have to wait long when, the following morning, Octavia returned with a group of Grounders at her side.

They set to work immediately, starting off by teaching the people everything they knew about the panthers and how to wield a spear decently if their guns failed them.

The Grounders also taught everyone how to set up a number of traps to catch prey. Larger ones were built that were designed specifically for panthers in mind.

Not only had Lexa sent us the Grounders without delay, but also had the horses carrying packs filled with food for the camp. The council were taken aback by her cooperation and I was pleased to see a lot of people's views were becoming less critical when regarding the commander, and many were now seeing her in a new light.

Within no time at all, groups consisting of Grounders and Skaikru were heading out of camp into the forest to put their newly found skills to good use. Soon enough, successful hunts began to return and the mood in camp improved immensely. The council and chancellor were no longer at each others throats, and with fresh meat being supplied for meals, no-one had anything to complain about.

I found that people would come to me if they had any issues, and the council were consulting me with any decisions that had to made, having fully accepted that I knew what I was doing far better than they ever would.
The remaining 44 also came into their element at this time, all of us having survived on the ground before the Ark had crashed, and had experience of things outside of the camp boundary.

A few of them had recently intercepted a camp member who had been foraging for food and was in the process of returning to camp with what looked like Jobi Nuts. This thankfully prevented the entire camp being subject to the hallucinations as we had been much earlier. Most of the hunting parties also consisted of the 44, others from the Ark being to nervous to venture outside the camp.

I was wandering through camp after having checked that the patrol had left on time when Abby caught sight of me and came rushing over, a rare smile lifting her lips. I regarded her warily as she came closer, not sure what could have caused her to look so cheery.

'Clarke, I have some wonderful news' she began, only to be interrupted when Jasper sidled up next to her with a goofy grin, inclining his head in her direction before turning his attention to me.

'Hey Clarke, thought you might be interested to know that Raven is cheating the unsuspecting out of their possessions again' he told me, ignoring the disgruntled chancellor at his side who was watching him with narrowed eyes, not happy at being interrupted.

I sighed at the news, not that it was any surprise. Games of dice were being played throughout the camp for a bit of fun, putting wagers on who would win the game had become fairly common with the residents in camp. This would be fine if a certain mechanic hadn't used her talents to allow her to win every time by weighing the dice. With just a drill and some metal, Raven had ensured that her opponent always left empty handed.

It wasn't a major problem but people were beginning to get quite upset when they lost each and every time and were beginning to suspect foul play. The game was meant to be a fun way to pass time and I would have to have some stern words with Raven about that later.

'Okay, thanks for letting me know' I said, not looking forward to the conversation to come.

'You didn't hear it from me' Jasper said, winking over dramatically before waving goodbye and slipping back to the Ark.

'So what were you saying?' I asked as the chancellor turned back to me with a frown, her expression brightening up immediately as she remembered what she had been about to say.