Together

My eyes opened sluggishly, feeling heavier than usual and it required some effort to keep them open against the light that instantly blinded my vision. I raised a hand to my face to block out the intense brightness, feeling the bed dip beneath me as someone moved to sit at my side. My vision soon began to clear and as my eyes adjusted to the light I saw my mom smiling down at me, overjoyed to see me awake once more.

'Take it easy,' she cautioned as I attempted to pull myself upright, glancing around to see that I was in my own room, lying on the furs of my bed. 'You've been out for a while.'

My head felt foggy as I tried to understand what she was saying.

'How long?'

'A few days, whatever Nia drugged you with worked a treat,' she said dryly, startled when I jumped into action at the name.

Whatever troubles I'd been having remembering the last few days all but disappeared when I heard the Ice Queens name. Her taunting words echoed through my head and I felt my throat tightening at the prospect that something terrible had befallen Lexa.

'What do you think you're doing?' Abby inquired, watching disapprovingly as I swung my legs over the side of the bed with as much strength as I could muster. 'You're staying in that bed for a few more hours until you have fully recovered.'

'I need to go,' I all but growled, looking back over my shoulder in desperation wondering how she could be so calm. I recalled the green eyes that had swam into my vision before falling unconscious but I couldn't allow myself to believe that it hadn't merely been a figment of my imagination. I had to find out what had happened.

'This wouldn't have anything to do with the Commander would it?' she asked, standing from the bed as I fell silent. 'If you're planning on running off anywhere you can forget about it.'

I looked up at her in dismay, surely she wouldn't keep me here when she knew what this meant to me. If she didn't by now then the pain in my eyes surely gave it away at that moment. I opened my mouth to protest, willing to fight my way out of this room if I had to. There was no need for such extremities when her eyes flicked over my shoulder momentarily before returning to me.

'Looks like she beat you to it,' she said with an amused smile and my head swiveled to find that the green eyes had most definitely not been a figment of my imagination.

'Lexa,' I breathed, unable to do anything for a moment but take in the sight of her, dressed casually rather than adorned in war gear, a warm smile lifting her lips as she came to a stop a few meters away.

With no mind to my current lack of strength, I stood somewhat unsteadily and virtually threw myself towards her with outstretched arms, relief coursing through me that she was alive and well. She returned the embrace without hesitation, huffing a small chuckle against my neck when she had to steady us both from my momentum.

I couldn't care less that my mother was in the room at that moment, aware of nothing but the private world that I shared only with Lexa. Burying my face into her shoulder I knew that everything was going to be okay, no matter what the fallout from this whole saga was then we would deal with it together, like we always did.

Lexa pulled back after a few lengthy moments, keeping a hand under my arm for support as her eyes remained fixed on me. It was only then, when I happened to glance down, did I notice the bandage wrapped tightly around her upper arm, visible through her light shirt.

'What happened?' I asked, instantly concerned as I lifted a hand to hover over the raised material. Lexa glanced down to where my attention lay and shook her head dismissively, guiding me back to the bed as she replied.